Dumbed down tire info for 82 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumbed down tire info for 82 850G

I know it has been talked over before, but I just can't confidently pick out the right rear tire for my bike.

I just put on a Dunlop F24 up front. Now this would be easy if there were a matching tire for the rear, but there isn't. Nick recommended Dunlop K491, but I can't figure out if that would be ok. The F24 is a bias ply. I know I don't want to mix and match bias and radials, but I can find no further info on the K491 except that its "belted"......

I have tried my best to read up on this, but haven't been enlightened yet. Could someone take a minute or two and give me a lesson in rubber replacement. I really want/need a new tire as well as the knowledge for the future.

The bike is all stock and uses tubeless tires.

thanks to all, and happy holidays.

Chris

the 491 would be a good replacement with the front tire your running. the 491 is NOT a radial tire, as most bike tires are not radials anyhow. Radials have just started to hit the MC market, and they requre a different rim than what most bikes have. you may get one to stay on, but it wouldnt be safe at all. Belted tires are simply tires that have extra reinforcment in the form of a 'belt' in the middle of the tire. This is to help with flats and helps kep the tire from prematurely blowing out as it wears down. I hope this gets you some 'tire knowledge' and helps with your decision.

Comment

Tim is absolutely correct. The Dunlop K491 is an excellent tire choice, front and rear, particularly for a GS used in long-distance touring.

The rear K491 is bias-belted, compatible with our wheels, and with any other front tire you may choose. I mix and match all the time, with no adverse effect.

Nick

Comment

Has anyone used "macadams" on their bike?

Comment

I ordered a K491 for the rear(currently on backorder) but now I'm having second thoughts. My rim says its 2.5 inches but Dunlop's recommended rim size for the tire is 3.00 inches. People have said they ran these tires on an 850, but there is only one variety available in 17". Is this acceptable? I really do not want to risk anything and I've read about the changed aspects of tire wear/handling from being mounted on an incorrect rim. Should I look for another tire?

Comment

Should I look for another tire?

No. I ran K491's on my GS850's for years. No problem at all.

N

Comment

Working...
            X