Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Gasket

Hey guys,
    I pulled the petcock on my '85 GS700ES yesterday because there was a little leak coing from around the base of the gasket. I went to the local motorcycle shop today and they said it would be over a week before they could get the oval o-ring in so i could fix it. Instead, of waiting a week I bought some hondabond, a semi-drying sealer that says it is resistant to gasoline. I am planning in coating the o-ring in this hondabond stuff and hoping it would seal well.

Should i go with the quick and easy fix with the hondabond or wait for the gasket to come in?

Thanks,
    Rob

How about a little RTV under the o-ring until the new one comes in?

Comment

All of the RTV silicone I have found says that it is not recomended for parts immersed in gasoline. If I were to put RTV on the gasket I would be concerned about it breaking down and getting into the carbs.

Thanks,
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by lallyrh
        All of the RTV silicone I have found says that it is not recomended for parts immersed in gasoline. If I were to put RTV on the gasket I would be concerned about it breaking down and getting into the carbs.

Thanks,
        Rob
        If you just use a thin layer down in the recess to give the o-ring a little extra height you should be okay. You could also go to Home Depot or Lowes and go to the plumbing department. They have small diameter teflon cord that you might be able to use.

Comment

Take a 3" piece of the biggest size fuel line the local hardware shop has and cut it lengthwise. There should be an outer and inner layer that sandwiches a clotch weave. Take the inner layer and flatten it out. I use a heat gun to get it real warm, then put it between two blocks of wood and clamp it in my vice. Let it cool this way and you should have a nice, flat piece of fuel resistant rubber. Now make a flat gasket out of it, not an o-ring. Just cut a big hole for the fuel tube and two holes for the petcock bolts. You may need to use slightly longer bolts to attach the petcock. This gasket will last for as long as you need.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Well even though hondabond says it resists gasoline, that's a load of bull. I filled the tank with fuel and it didn't last 4 hours on the bike before fuel started literally puring out from around the gasket. I made a new gasket out of fuel line, like you recomended, Jethro. Works like a charm and I havent had any trouble since.

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X