Simple Tire Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Tire Question

I have been looking for an inexpensive tire for my 81 GS1100 but i cant seem to find the front tire number anywhere around (3.50 V19) is there another tire number that can be used in its place or a type that fits the same on the rim? I see all these 130/60/V16 numbers but no 3.50V19. Please help.

Go to (www.mawonline.com) then look up tires, then go to the tire sizing/application chart. It will tell you all you need to know. I think the 3.50 X 19 will be a 100/90/19, but check the chart to be sure.

Comment

100/90/19 is the correct tire.

Comment

your rear should be 130/90/16

Comment

If it is chain drive the rear should be 130/90-17. I think LTs and the shafties have the 16in rear

Comment

thanks for the help once again guys, this will be a big aid in my search for a new tire, and yeah i own a chain driven i think it is a 17 too. Thanks.

Comment

I think LTs and the shafties have the 16in rear

Not so. The standard GS850G, GS1000G, and GS1100G, all years, have stock 17-in rear wheels. The "L" shafties have 16-inchers mostly, and the touring-equipped GK models also came with 16-inch rear wheels.

They're totally interchangeable. I run a 1979 GS850G rear wheel in my 1984 GK, alternating service with the stock 16-incher.

Nick

Comment

That is why I said "I think" instead of I know.

Comment

Not to offend you but why "inexepensive" remember it is your tires that help you stay on the road and cheap tires will not help in handling and drivability. After all it is your butt you have to worry about.

Just a thought.

Comment

16 Vs 17

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                    [i]
                    They're totally interchangeable. I run a 1979 GS850G rear wheel in my 1984 GK, alternating service with the stock 16-incher.
                    Nick
                    I'm curious which do you prefer the 16 or the 17 and how does it change the riding characteristics of the bike?

Comment

It should change the engine rpm for a given road speed...16 inch would rev higher for a given speed, and thus offer more acceleration. 17 would run lower rpm less noise, better cruise and economy.

Is the difference significant Nick?

Comment

No, guys, the difference is insignificant. A bit higher gear ratio, which the big GK can easily handle. A tad less rpm at 75 to 80 mph. Otherwise, no difference.

No difference in tire mileage either, even though the 16 turns more revs per mile than the 17.

I thought it would make a bigger difference, but it doesn't. The reason I alternate 16 with 17 is:
                        1. To save on driven gear wear. The teeth on these eventually wears out.

2. To save on disc wear. The 17-incher is off a 79 GS850, with a solid disc, which is thicker, even after all these years, than the slotted one.

3. To have a new tire installed on the spare wheel at a given time, so that, when changing rear wheels, I take one off and immediately put the new one on. No downtime. I buy my tires way ahead of time, and have them professionally installed immediately.

The standard GS1100G comes with a 17, but the touring GK with a 16. Both have the same frame and swingarm, same rear end. They're interchangeable.

Nick

Comment

The local tire shop says a 3.50 is a 110/90 in metric.
                          A 3.25 is a 100/90. I've used both and can't tell any difference. KK.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                          X