79 gs 750 no fire....well kinda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs 750 no fire....well kinda

got a 79 gs750 i have no fire if i ground the plug. however if i hold the plug a little away from the frame or engine spark jumps from the tip of the plug to the engine or frame.any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd try a new plug! Obviously you're getting enough juice to create a spark. Probably the plug has some carbon on the insulator tip creating an easier path to ground. I have even had some brand new out of the box (Champion) plugs that were defective.

Comment

fire

i got 4 brand new ng's and they all do the same

Comment

Originally posted by goslowdsm
        got a 79 gs750 i have no fire if i ground the plug. however if i hold the plug a little away from the frame or engine spark jumps from the tip of the plug to the engine or frame.any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Have you checked your plug wires for a crack? Will the bike start?

Comment

gs750

no bike will not even try to start just cranks

Comment

no bike will not even try to start just cranks
            What about spraying starter fluid in the plug holes, will it kick over then?. If not I would look at getting new points or see if you get spark at the points.

Comment

tried the starter fluid i seem to have plenty of fire coming from the points as well this thing has me completely stomped

Comment

tried the starter fluid i seem to have plenty of fire coming from the points as well this thing has me completely stomped
                Im not an expert at electrical but I would check the ignitor. You must be grounding out somewhere.Have you checked your wires from the points up to the fusebox or possibly your kill switch? Just a thought.Im working on a gs 79 750 L myself and have found a broken white wire off the points and bad connection at the other end.I have never heard of an engine that wouldnt even try to start with starting fluid.I also synced the carbs and this thing runs like new!
                Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2006, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I just got the 79 750 I have been working on running.I put new points and condensers in and new plugs too. The book says to set the gap beween 12 and 16.It would not even run with the gap at 14 so I set them at sixteen and it fired right up!I was getting spark on both points and plugs but it would not even "pop" till I set the gap a little open.You might try that and see what happens.I also synced the carbs and this thing "hauls" @## now!!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2006, 04:49 PM.

Comment

still working on this thing any ideas

Comment

still working on this thing any ideas
                      have you tried unhooking the clutch saftey switch. have you tried jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver.It will kickstart if the clutch is not pulled in as long as it is in nuetral.

Comment

Has the bike ever started properly since you've had it? In other words, what's the history of this problem.

Is it possible the coils are grounded and the spark is jumping from ground back up thru the plug? I don't know if that can happen or not. There are lots of good electrical folks here. Maybe Earl will see this and help you out.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, you are not getting the spark across the tip to electrode, but when the plug is placed near ground, it sparks from the tip to ground.

Check your plug gap. If the gap is too wide, then you might not have enough voltage to jump the gap. If your gap is already at the smallest recommended, then you may have weak coils. Other possibility is hairline cracks in the electrodes, or a non-conductive grease or other contaminant on the threads and/or electrodes (motor oil is non-conductive).

Comment

Any luck on this?

Comment

Working...
                            X