I think my charging system is going out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my charging system is going out

My stator waires (all 3) are getting very hot. I checked the connections to make sure they were good. I just happend to notice this while I was adjusting the carbs. I could see little puffs of smoke coming from the little rubber boot that covers the connecters. Could this be a symptom of a R/R going bad? Or just old wires?

Originally posted by ihalterman
    My stator waires (all 3) are getting very hot. I checked the connections to make sure they were good. I just happend to notice this while I was adjusting the carbs. I could see little puffs of smoke coming from the little rubber boot that covers the connecters. Could this be a symptom of a R/R going bad? Or just old wires?
    Try cleaning and tightening the connections inside that boot. You can eliminate them altogether by soldering then shrink wrapping them.

Comment

OK, I will give that a shot.

Thanks Billy.

BJ

Comment

Originally posted by ihalterman
        OK, I will give that a shot.

Thanks Billy.

BJ
        The r/r going bad will not heat up as what you are talking about. If it was the r/r you would notice your battery water level going down. Do you have to ad water to your battery every so often? If so I would check your r/r.

Comment

The connections might look good, but they are almost certainly bad -- almost every GS owner has to solder these connections at some point, and most show signs of overheating damage.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
            The connections might look good, but they are almost certainly bad -- almost every GS owner has to solder these connections at some point, and most show signs of overheating damage.
            like melted plastic connections.It best to soder them together and get rid of the plastic connections even if you buy a new r/r.

Comment

I just got my bike back thinking I had charging problems. The mechanic stated that it was simply a wire that corroded and got hot - simple fix. It sounds a little like what you described.
              Hondas
              '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
              Suzuki
              '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
              Kaw
              '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasser
                I just got my bike back thinking I had charging problems. The mechanic stated that it was simply a wire that corroded and got hot - simple fix. It sounds a little like what you described.
                I would still ground your r/r straight to the battery and the hot wire to the positve side,and soder you other wires together and get rid of the pastic connections so you will never have trouble again.

Comment

Working...
                X