Plugs, wires, caps, resistance..Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugs, wires, caps, resistance..Oh My!

I was wondering about the science behind resistance, suppression and how it affects performance and reliability. Maybe we could get a thread with some definitive expert advice on the subject.

As any motorcycle nut, I want the best performance out of my bike.

From my understanding, the best performance would come from solid core wires, a solid plug boot and standard plugs. (in this case B8ES, where B is the thread size, 8 is the heat range, E is the reach and S is the type, Standard)
    However this solid wire (no suppression wire or resistor plug or cap) approach may tend to create a very hot but short spark cycle and upset your neighbors as the spark interference would show up on their T.V.'s and Radio.

There are resistance plugs (BR8ES), suppression wires, resistance plug boots, etc. I currently have stock wires, stock caps and resistor plugs.

What is the best combination without to much radio interference, short ignition life, etc.?

1 - Solid wire, Solid plug boot, Standard plug or
    2 - Solid wire, Resistance plug boot, Standard plug or (stock)
    3 - Solid wire, Solid plug boot, Resistance plug or (BR8ES plug)
    4 - Suppression wire, Solid plug boot, Standard plug or
    5 - well there are alot of combinations.......

I want to run solid wires, solid plug boots and resistor plugs......how will this effect performance, radio interference and ignition life?

The main question is how are all these things related and what are the implications and reasons behind different technologies.:?

#2 is the stock combination.

Comment

For performance, throw out all the restrictors. Resistors on ign. systems were started in the mid 60's, to reduce interference (static) on their AM radios. In the mid 60's, most radios were AM. The system works well for the AM, but FM radios aren't affected near as much as the old AM was, so the resistors aren't needed near as much as they would have been back then. Take the resistors out of your spark plug caps, and pack them with copper wire, use solid core spark plug wires, and non resistor plugs.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Also, I'd like to know, do the restrictors weaken the spark, or slow it down??? neither of which would be needed for performance, just curious.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          Also, I'd like to know, do the restrictors weaken the spark, or slow it down??? neither of which would be needed for performance, just curious.
          No, otherwise they would have never been used to start with.

Comment

Working...
          X