Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 sometimes hot ,sometimes not

HI all

I have a 1150 1984 with a problem of fire on it.

My cyl. #2 do not fire like it suppose to.

before posting this thread i read all what I can find on carbs, and electrical prob.

I tought I found the answer today in the thread of :No. 1 not firing! by angus chapman

so I have change my four spark plugs, I checked if I have fire on all cyl. my stator is new from last summer, during a run a the idle i pulled the wire to see which is working (always #2 not working at idle) when I removed this plug is all wet of gaz( no problem with the carbs ... i think)

So I started my bike today during the warm time (with choke on) i sprayed water the the pipe of each cyl. it was like wax the water can hold half a second on the pipe,when Iturned the choke off I spray again and the water can stick easily on the pipe #2 but not on the other like if it was cold.

now I don't know what to think ,maybe my jet needle to low(not enough gaz at idle on #2) If you know my problem or if you have more idea to check this please let me know

thank you

ps. sorry for my english

Pascal

Pascal,
    Try switching the plug leads on 2 & 3 around. Put what is now #3 on #2 and vice-versa. See if the problem moves to #3.

Comment

Wire Resistance

I would check wire resistance on the coil that is firing #2#3, I found on my old coil 2 of the plug boots which were in good condition were way out of specs, the resistance should have been 5K ohms and it was up over 10K ohms, then check each plug lead to the primary lead and see if there is a difference in resistance. Either the plug wire and or boot has gone bad or #2 is way too rich. I don't like the old coil wire and boot connection, there is no mechanical connection holding them together but the spike in the plug boot that workes its way into the plug wire like a nial in wood hoping it makes good contact with the wire strands that are inside the wire, if some of those strands are broken or pushed up in the wire and only a few are actually making contact with the boot spike that is inside and makes contact, then you will have poor sparking performance and maybe not even enough to sustain even a decent spark and if the plug fouls quick enough then it will never fire. I replaced my coils and wires, I had nothing but fits from those old things...
      Swap the leads and see what happens first. Then go from there...

Bill

Comment

This is often a bad petcock -- the vacuum line that opens the petcock is usually on #2, so when the petcock diaphragm goes bad, extra gas gets sucked into #2 and bad things start to happen.

You may not be able to detect the leak by sucking on the hose, either -- it takes only the tiniest pinhole to leak enough gas to cause problems.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X