X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard starting gs1100

hi everybody
    i just luckily stumbled into this site
    im looking at buying a 1982 gs1100 to replace my ageing 73cb750(im giving the honda to my son)
    anyhow the bike is really nice seems fairly clean 29k on it kerker pipe rejetted and a k&n filter

my question is this:
    the battery in it is fully charged but when u try to start the engine the starter spings REALLY slow
    like i rrrrunh rrrrrunh rrrrrrrrrunh after it does this for a bit it starts
    it did for me anyways
    im buying it off of a friend of mine and he said its let him sit once or twice

what could cause this?

he's tried 2 different starters (both used )and it did the exact same thing

is this fairly common?

how hard is it to cure?
    and what should i be looking at besides grounds?(all the wireing looks ok to me)

are these starters rebuildable?
    if not,how much are new ones?

thanx in advance for your help

scott

Looks can be decieving, remove the ground cable and clean the ends of any corosion.
    It would be a good time to upgrade the ground cable to one that also splits off from one end and goes to the main point that all the rest grounds go to, useally to a ear of the starter solinoid.

the starter can be rebuilt, I would test the starter solinoid first, if the contacts are dirty or worn, it wont pass enough amps for the starter to make full power.
    you can test the solinoid by taking a set of jumper cables and jumping around the solinoid. (no stator jokes please :roll: )

Comment

Awww, C'Mon........!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

ok
        ive been over the grounds took them off sanded the ends

my buddy that owns the bike says one of the starters was a fresh rebuilt one so i dont think thats it

ive tried jumping the seliniod directly

no difference

any other ideas?
        thanx scott

Comment

A couple of wild suggestions
          1. Are you sure it is the right starter for the bike? There are two brush and 4 brush starters for the GS's. I'm not positive but I think they are physically identical, but have different torque outputs.

2. Are the battery cables tight to the posts? Not just a tight bolt. I've found sometimes the bolts are replaced with longer units that bottom out before the cables are tight.

3. A fully charged battery does not mean it has the current producing capacity to spin the starter well. Swap it with a known good battery and try again.

4. Could the owner before have done some internal engine mods to raise the compression ratio?

Good luck

Comment

as far as i know its the right starter my buddy bought it off of a local M/C repair shop that had a good reputation

brand new battery,cables fit tight

raised compression?maybe..........

he bought it from his cousin who bought it from somebody who bought it from.........

u know how that goes.......

we were kind of thinking raised compression ourselves........
            i was gonna run a compression check on it but i have nothing to compare it to
            what kind of cranking compression SHOULD it have?

how to cure it other than tearing the motor down and buying a .020copper base from A.P.E.?

my other buddy who drag races harleys mentioned a compreesion release..........

we can get the parts but i dont know if theres room in the head for it....

ive seen them on harleys but they were 2 plug heads with the release in one of the plug holes.........

irregardless im buying the bike

once u get it started it runs like a raped ape u just cant shut it off unless u have acess to jumper cables and a car battery.....just in case

thanx scott

Comment

Be sure the battery is the correct # for your bike. My CB 1100 F had the exact problem that you described, when I baught it. I replaced the battery with a new one, and matched the # on the new one with the # off the one I took out. The leingth & width were just right, and I thought it was the correct one. I had the starter rebuilt, checked all connections, did everything you have done, but no change. Finally found the bike should have a YB14LA2, the one that was in it when I got it was a YB12LA2, the same leingth & width, but apprx 3/4" shorter. Put in correct battery, starts like a new bike.

Comment

scott,
                have you checked the timing? If it is too far advanced it could turn over slower . Another thing is how cold is it were you are and what weight and condition is the oil in? If the oil is a heavier weight and/or its cold out it will turn over slower. After its running and gets warm does it start better?

Comment

sorrry i must have clicked on the "new topic "

please look at "hard starting gs1100 cont"

scott

Comment

anyway
                    yes im sure its the right battery

i dont think its timing
                    i jumped the selinoid directly with the ignition off,same thing

hot or cold makes no difference

the only thing i can think of is way too much compression.......

how much SHOULD it have?

what i can figure out tho is that it runs on 92 octane with no knocking.....

thanx scott

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                      Awww, C'Mon........!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

well i checked the compression
                        120 PSI in all the holes so thats not it...............

when you spin the motor by hand it has a fairly tight spot just when it comes up on TDC for cyls 1 and 4 but thats normal isnt it?

anybody have any ideas?

im ready to tear this thing apart and part it out

its a shame cause the bike is REALLY clean

scott

Comment

What about the wires, you said they are tight and well connected, but hows the resistance in the wire? Maybe your wires are finished.

If the bike is great otherwise it's a shame to part it out.

Comment

I just read something that may be of interest on the Starting Clutch GS 1000 thread. It had to do with parts binding up and causing the starter motor to run slow. Might be worth a look. Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

yeah i just saw that post my self bill...........
                              gives me a few other things to check
                              thanx scott

Comment

Working...
                              X