What Model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Model?

Hi to all, can anyone help me I have just bought a GS850G but I dont know what model it is.The documents state manufactured 1987 but is on a number plate as a W reg(1981?)It has the later type brakes(slotted discs) with air forks and electronic ignition.It has pulled back handlebars rectangular indicators mph speedo and with a 55mph marking in the speedo.Its all original paint (blue) with a metal painted front mudguard.I assume it was an import from America/Canada?Engine number...GS850G 149699.....FRAME NUMBER JSIGS71G3B2105808....If anyone can help I would be most grateful.........regards mark

Souinds interesting sounds like my 1980 GS850G here in the US but the pulled back handle bars sound like a GS850GL??

Comment

yea an 80 or 81 850 from the states.
      Canada used KPH

55 mph marked in red? LOL RIP nixon.........

Back in the old days that was a poor man's chopper, meaning adding pull back bars.
      can you take pic and post it?
      Does it have a very pronounced step in the seat?
      If yes, than it may be an "L" model
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Model

There is a website that is All Suzuki Models Ever Built and thye have a engine and frame id section. According to that site the 10th digit in the registration indicates the year of the bike
        The B in your registration number indicates its a 1981, A=1980 and so on...

This is the site with pics of the bikes from all the years, very good info, though not sure if it is all up to date...

Your bike is either a G or GL
        G-Shaft Drive
        L -Crusier
        Sounds like a Cruiser and should have a step down seat compared to a all flat seat, the step down the pax sits up behind a little higher then the driver...

Bill

Comment

Adding to the mystery...he mentioned "a metal painted front mudguard". I am thinking that the G models had the painted fenders and the GL models were chrome.

Now, in the "For what it's worth" department...
          my '82 850GL was manufactured in November, 1982
          engine number is GS850-156486
          frame number is JF1GS71LBC2103910

According to Bill, the 10th digit indicates that it's an '82, and I concur.

By the way, pix will soon be posted in the gallery and will also be submitted for Bike of the Month.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What Model?

Hi thanks for all the relpies......when I mention pull back bars they are bigger than standard but not as big as the L model.Here is a pic ....hope it helps........cheers Mark

Comment

Looks like a G model.
              Those look like the standard bars Suzuki used.
              Kinda generic or "sit up straight" bar.
              Nothing wrong with them at all. They give you options as to attaching a windshild or not. Very comfy type of bar.

As to the air forks, Suzuki used this on many models from the early 80's, my 1980 GS1000S has em, to the late 80's, early 90's.
              Be careful if using air. It's easy to blow out a seal or put in too much and the forks lock, no rebound or compression at all.

Good looking bike by the way.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

1981 GS850G, except for the turn signals it looks bone stock.
                Last edited by rustybronco; 06-17-2006, 08:44 AM.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

:-D Hi thanks for the info .....cheers .mark

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco
                    1981 GS850G, except for the turn signals it looks bone stock.
                    Exactly, I have an 80 Model in the Garage!:-D
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                    X