Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding how much water to a battery is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding how much water to a battery is too much?

I have a 1981 gs 850g and in about 2 weeks (500 miles) I had to add about 1-3 tblsp to each cell. No cells were below the low line but I did notice they all went down a little. Is this a sign of anything abnormal or is this much water addition normal?

Check battery/charging voltage with bike running at mid rpms (4 to 5 K rpm). SHould not be over 14.5, if charging system too high (volt requlator not working) it can cause the water loss.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The volt meter tells all...

If it's a brand new battery or fresh off a stationary charger, you'll sometimes see an electrolyte level drop in the first few days. During the initial charge, sometimes a lot more and larger gas bubbles are created in the battery than usual. After you place the battery in the bike and ride a bit, the bubbles finally collapse and you can see the true electrolyte level.

But do check the 5,000 rpm charging voltage as explained, just to be sure. If you do find a problem, the Stator Papers will guide you throught the diagnosis and repair.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

One handy item is a battery condition monitor. Typically 5 or 6 LEDs in small plastic case and a couple of short leads fitted with alligator clips. The LEDs light progressively from under-voltage through OK to over-voltage. They use zener diodes and are very accurate.

Mine has descriptive labels on the faceplate, but the manual lists actual voltages required to light each LED.

Most auto parts shops stock them for a handful of $.

Comment

All above statements apply.

try to use distilled water not tap water.
          Yo uadded a small amount so it should be ok.'If you need to add more than a few tablespoons, go with distilled water.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

well, I just checked my 850 voltage and at 4000 rpm it is 12.14 and at 5000 rpm it is 12.38. Will an occasional trickle charger boost be wise? Is the stator starting to check out?

Comment

Ew, those voltage readings indicate the opposite problem. . . . Is not hardly charging at all. Should be closer to or over 13.5 volts when running at mid rpms (but not much over 14.5).

To convince yourself of that, try measuring the battery voltage when bike is off (has been for an hour or more). Then you will see that the charging voltage isnt much more than just the battery voltage.

Have you been having other problems, like it not starting on occassion? And thats why you are looking at the battery?

Good that you have a volt meter and know how to use it.

Look at the stator papers that Brian pointed out to you. Need to check the stator seperatly from the Regulator/rectifyer. Then check the R/R.

My web page tells the story of when I had charging problem with my 850G. Seems like you will soon have a story about your charging problems, as do many of us.

Lots of folks here to help. Tell us what more you find.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I picked this one up on ebay ( black Kuryakyn)....have yet to install on the bike though.

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

You been using a trickle charger?
                  - Is it one amp or less? If its a 6 or 12 amp charger, that can charge battery at too high of a rate, causing water loss.
                  - Is it one of the $15 trickle chargers from department store? Those dont shut off when battery fully charged, causing water loss. Can be a problem if left on for more than several hours. Battery Tender or other is better, it shuts off when battery fully charged.

BUt this is in addition to your concerns about the bikes charging system not charging.

Comment

The trickle charger I have is at a very low rate and turns off when the battery is charged.
                    Yes, I did have the battery go dead when I did not ride it for a week. That is what started me on this issue. It starts up fine if I ride it every day though.

Would a bad battery be suspect as well? It is 2 years old, when I got the bike it was stone dead. I have always had a low rate charger. The highest was 500 m/a but mine now is less (I cannot remember exactly but I know it is slow).

I just checked the voltage wile it is not running and it is 11.87 volts.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X