Help? Rain Storm Nailed Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help? Rain Storm Nailed Charging System

Hello all, could use some help. I have an '82 GS650GL that I've been riding since March here in Maine when I bought it. The bike is absolutely great, painted it, cleaned it up, and it has run like a dream since I bought it.

Symptoms:
    The other day on the way home from work I got soaked in a thunderstorm..bike sputtered a few times I noticed but kept going..I got under cover and waited it out. After the storm passed, it started but it started like the battery was at its end (brand new battery). I rode home no problem, probably another 15 miles. Later that evening took the girlfriend out for a ride and it started a little hard. Stalled it in my hill of a driveway when I got home and it wouldn't start again.

What I've Tried:
    I jumped it with a portable jumper pack and it starts great. I let it run thinking it needed to be charged after the rain did some sort of voodoo on it. About 5 minutes into the idling, I was watching to headlight to see if it got dim.. not really. Then I tried the turn signals but they would only come on and NOT blink. Weird. Then I waited a bit more, didn't notice the headlight getting noticeably dimmer, then I tried the blinker again, and it stalled immediately when I hit the turn signal button and wouldn't start again. It will probably start if I jumped it but die soon after.

Suggestions?
    I am learning bike mechanics as fast as possible but I'm not sure where to go. Did I fry the regulator/rectifier? Did some exposed important wiring get wet and fry? I couldn't see any and it has dried for two 90+ degree days. All fuses are good. Note: I replaced headlight fuse about a hundred miles ago, don't know if related.

Thanks guys! I know this gang will come through, there is a lot of talent here and I appreciate the advice. Yes I did search the forums first but didn't find anything rain related. Thanks again!

The rain could just be a coincidence. Slap a voltmeter on the battery and see whats up. Check all ground connections. Report voltmeter findings for more help.

Comment

Voltmeter Test Results

Okay, volt meter results:

- Across the battery is DC 12v give or take a couple tenths of a decimal place while the bike is off.

- Did the 5000 RPM DC test across the battery terminals and got less than 15 volts, got around 2v.

- Did the 5000 RPM/High Beam On test across the white/blue white/green Yellow wires off the stator in all combinations. Book said it should be around 80v AC but I was getting at most 2v AC.

The book says I need to replace the stator. The problem is this in my mind, the thing ran amazingly reliable all spring and this came on instantaneously with the sheets of rain falling. Is there a ground or connection somewhere that could be causing me to get false readings? I find it hard to believe the alternator/stator could go bad because of rain. It seems like a wiring problem. I followed the wires out of the alternator..they go to a plug placed top right above the battery box. From there, they look like they go to the rectifier then back up to the white/blue, etc.. wires that I tested earlier. Am I missing a stop along the wiring trail I should check? I hate to rip the stator out and replace it only to find that the rain fried some little component buried somewhere that's $1.99. Any ideas?

Comment

Ohm Reading Across Stator Wires?

One more thing for anyone out there who might be able to help... Can I unplug the plug that comes directly out of the stator and do an ohm reading across them to the frame to check for a ground?

Comment

Working...
        X