GS850 Airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Airbox

I bought an airbox and the boots to fit it to my carbs from a 79' GS850. My problem is that the boots are too small to fit onto my 1980 GS850 carbs. I found a place that has new boots to go from my carbs to the airbox. Does anybody know if the airbox on the 1979 GS850 is the same as the 1980 GS850.

Thanks!
    Justin

I don't think they are the same. The '79 had the old-style carbs (I can't remember the model name) and the '80 and newer bikes have the CV carbs, which have a larger throat.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Definitely not the same. The 79 carb/intake setup is totally different from later models. I'm afraid you're going to have to get new ones.

Comment

If you're trying to cross-reference parts, just use one of the many sites with an online microfiche and compare part numbers.

http://alpha-sports.com (doesn't work in Safari and a few other browsers. OK in Firefox and Win MSIE,)

(Bikebandit uses their own part numbering system to discourage comparison shopping, but you can still use them for cross-referencing.)
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I've actually stumbled across a website with these original part numbers on it before.

Looking for trusted dirt bikes for sale in the Temecula, CA, area? Temecula Motorsports has just what you need. Click here to browse our online selection.

Unfortunately, on the film of the '79 it refers to the entire assembly as REF# (1) and PART # 13700-45011. On the film for the '80 it still refers to the entire assembly as REF # (1) but on the chart, doesent list anything information about that REF #.

The rubber boots that come out of the box and go onto the carbs don't fit, I definately know that. But I can't tell if the box is the same. I'd love to keep the box I have, and just have to get new intake boots.

Comment

Working...
          X