I think i fried my bike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think i fried my bike...

I was doing some routine stuff on my bike (81 gs450e) this morning; oil/filter change, putting on new bars, cleaning up, and addressing my front brake light issue. I replaced the front brake switch, and when I was putting everything back together, I heard a pop like a fuse blowing i think somewhere in the front of the bike and now I have no power at all. I turn on the ignition and nothing happens, lights (all of them)/horn/starter, nothing works...

PLEASE let me know where I should begin looking for the problem. My bike is my main means of transportation. So, this is kind of urgent.

Thanks,

-charles

[-o<

first place to look:
    did the fuse blow? there should be a fuse holder on your bike that has a fuse in it..you might have blown the fuse...

Comment

Yep

I think we've all done the same thing (I know I have! ). If nothing works, it's probably the main fuse, as the Lord says, which is the only 15 amp fuse on the fuse panel. I hope that's what's wrong because it's an easy fix (unless something's not hooked up right). Let us know.

Some people think fuses cause problems...actually, they prevent them.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I figured it was the main fuse, but I didn't really know where the main fuse panel was (I'm a little new to the motorcycle repair thing, unless you count the dozens of times I've dismantled and reassembled mopeds and scooters).

-charles

Comment

Most are under the left side cover

or under the seat.

Pan

Comment

I have seen comments here on GSR about the 450 being different electrically than most GS, I think they said they had only a main fuse. But, like Pan said, are usally under seat or behing a side panel.

Typicall troubleshooting logic will say that if it was okay before, then you changed something, then shortly after (no pun intended) something bad happens, the bad thing is probably related to what you just changed. So look back at your recent work (front brake switch or all wireing to handle bar) and see if something there could be causing the problem. And look under seat and behind side panels for fuse.
            Last edited by Redman; 06-17-2006, 02:20 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
            X