Case Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case Repair

I need to know what would be the best avenue to follow to get the case of my 1100EZ repaired. It has slight crash damage to a bolt hole for the timing cover.

I was thinking of having it welded up, and reshape it and tap it.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Do you still have the piece? And do think it could be JB Welded?
    Be a lot less expensive than welding and you don't have to worry about an getting an oil tight seal on that cover.

Comment

Dont have the piece... I was thinking of using the aluminum type low temp rods... and a propane torch.

Jim

Comment

Jim, do you know if the case/cover from a 2-valve 1100 engine will swap? You know I have that 1100GK parts bike, right? It's an '84 model. If it'll fit, we can scuff up the aluminum and paint it black. Good as new.

Comment

Jim, regarding your case repair you're in luck for several reasons. First, the only functional purposes the repair needs to provide is to keep water out and provide a threaded hole for the ignition cover. No oil leakage issues, no bearing/seal fit issues, no clearance issues on the inside. Outside it needs to be flat enough for the gasket to effect a seal against splashing (not pressurized from either side) and smooth enough to satisfy your standards of cosmetics. I'd have a welding shop use their TIG methods to replace it with a piece and then finish it by hand with a file. Done it myself several times and pleased with the results. BTW, it is very important that any electronic ignition box is removed from the bike if this repair will be done with the motor in the frame; the welding current won't hurt the coils but may (high probability) damage the ignition box and certain pickup plates (ex. Dyna S) if left in place. I've done this too. Good luck.

Comment

Great, I was hoping it would be a simple fix. I get that done, reposition the case guard, replace a mirror and signal... and its almost as good as new.

JJ, the cover is still good and I would PREFER not to tear the engine down while its running good. You should stop by some night, I have a nice lil black SVO stang sitting in the basement,"friends car" that I'm fixing up. Should be "close" to 3 hp per cube when I'm finished.

Oh yea, with all thats been going on... and the fact that I lose stuff constantly... I havnt got the chance to tell yall that as of wednesday the 11th, I am now married. So now I have a 12 year old step daughter also.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X