Idle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle question

Hi everyone, I just have a question about my bikes idle. It seems after I ride a few miles then come to a stop the idle doesnt drop down to where it should be. Its not idling really high but its enough to notice. I dont have my tach cable (its in the mail) yet so i cant say what the RPMs are running at. I have it set by ear. I was wondering if someone knows what is causing this. Thanks

Originally posted by apacalypse
    Hi everyone, I just have a question about my bikes idle. It seems after I ride a few miles then come to a stop the idle doesnt drop down to where it should be. Its not idling really high but its enough to notice. I dont have my tach cable (its in the mail) yet so i cant say what the RPMs are running at. I have it set by ear. I was wondering if someone knows what is causing this. Thanks
    Sounds like i need to check the intake boots and orings. Ill give that a try.

Comment

Have you tried backing out the idle knob a little bit yet? It hangs at back of carbs between 2-3 carbs. You need to give more info. Year, size, current history, any mods. It All Matters.

Comment

Everything I have and still own will idle a little higher after its been run for a while. My bikes will gain 100 - 200 rpms after they come to a stop after a moderate distance. Does it idle so high that the bike will move out as you release the clutch with out opening the throttle?

Comment

Yes it does, I sprayed wd40 on the boots and it didnt even miss a beat. so i dont think thats it. I dont have any mods on it. 1982 gs650gl. I had a little oil coming out of the front of the valve cover so i put a new gasket on it. Thinking mabee that might fix it but i rode it tonight and when i started it the idle was fine but after riding for about 10-15 min it was idleing high again. I would have to leave it in gear to slow the idle. So i dont know what else to try. Thanks

Comment

Sticky throttle cable or you are running lean and getting hot.
            Does it tick from heat when you shut it down?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yes it does tick when i shut it down. Ive made sure the throttle cable isnt sticking.

Comment

Check your spark plug color to see if you are running lean. White is lean, tan is good and black is rich.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

All bikes tick when you shut them off. My new SV650 did, my past Harley ticked, the three bikes before that, one air cooled and two water cooled, my dads water cooled 1600 vulcan does. You are probably right about the fast idle though.

Comment

all throttle

what's up man.. i read your post and i thought of two plausible explanations... though neither need be correct.. my first thought was you probably have gummed up carburators, and so you wouldn't be getting the response you should get when you let off the gas.. my bike was doing the same thing... you could give it plenty, but took awhile to wind down after letting off.. so if you haven't given them the treatment in a while, might try that.

my other thought was that it was something simple and easily overlooked... like not enough slack in your throttle cables? worth checkin anyway.

lemme know how it goes man.. dave.

Comment

Originally posted by apacalypse
                      Yes it does, I sprayed wd40 on the boots and it didnt even miss a beat. so i dont think thats it. I dont have any mods on it. 1982 gs650gl. I had a little oil coming out of the front of the valve cover so i put a new gasket on it. Thinking mabee that might fix it but i rode it tonight and when i started it the idle was fine but after riding for about 10-15 min it was idleing high again. I would have to leave it in gear to slow the idle. So i dont know what else to try. Thanks
                      Try spraying behind the boots where they attach to the engine. You will have to bend your spray nozzle to do so.There is a little space you can get it in by the fins,You might find you have an o-ring leak.Also check your air box and where it attaches to the carbs.I had the same problem and replaced the o-rings and intake boots and synced the carbs. Clean the spark plugs and reoil the air filter.Make sure your air box lid is on good.You have an air leak for sure somewhere.Also check your throttle cable play.

Comment

Almost certainly an intake leak.
                        And the leak test doesn't always expose the leak.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

My bike doesn't tick and I ride in a dessert where the temperature averages over 100 degrees daily, but I did install an oil cooler.

Comment

My bike has ticked a few times, but usually in very cold weather. Our cars tick a lot.
                            My wife ticks me off sometimes...does that count?
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                              My bike has ticked a few times, but usually in very cold weather. Our cars tick a lot.
                              My wife ticks me off sometimes...does that count?
                              High idle and air leaks will cause pipes to heat up and tick when you shut it off and a dirty engine will also cause it to run hot.Keep the front and the underneath fins clean and free of dirt. Especially the oil pan and filter area.These are air cooled engines. A lot of road dirt will act like a "blanket" and trap the heat in,so keep that engine clean!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X