Idle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all relevent Keith.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
      High idle and air leaks will cause pipes to heat up and tick when you shut it off and a dirty engine will also cause it to run hot.Keep the front and the underneath fins clean and free of dirt. Especially the oil pan and filter area.These are air cooled engines. A lot of road dirt will act like a "blanket" and trap the heat in,so keep that engine clean!!!
      You mean clean like this?

And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Show off. Or this?

Last edited by chef1366; 06-24-2006, 03:16 AM.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
          Show off. Or this?

Yep. That'll do too.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

YES! Clean like that. But I wouldnt say every one would keep there engine that clean and thats a shame.Haveing a clean engine takes time and patience and very few people will take the time to that.Thats why I get up early on saturday.In a couple of hours your ready to ride and everybody looks. All some guys want to do is ride.I hate seeing a dirty engine no mater what it is ,bike,car,boat etc. My idle does not change no matter how long or hard I ride.I guess I got everything set just right.Most thanks to Keith!

Comment

would loose air-filter boots cause a similar problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
                Likely not, but possible. An air leak has much more effect on mixture between the carbs and the engine, versus the airbox to the carbs.

BTW, my pipes tick quite a bit when I shut the bike off. The engine is clean, the mixture is good and all that. I am sure it is normal, but the engine shouldn't tick when cooling.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
                  Not trying to "improve" on Jethro's reply, but a leak between the carbs and airbox won't make the rpm's rise. Only a leak on the engine side of the carbs will do that.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the great advise. I have to say ive learned alot from this site. Keep it up. I tried to take the intake boots off today but no luck. Those dang philips head screws wont budge. Ill have to get the right tools. I want to check the orings and possibly buy new boots if needed. I did get my tach cable installed and i have the idle set at about 1000 and after riding it gets up to about 2500 or more. so im still working on it. But again thanks for everything.. Brandy

1982 GS650GL

BTW if any one knows of any side covers please let me know....

Comment

Originally posted by apacalypse
                      Thanks everyone for the great advise. I have to say ive learned alot from this site. Keep it up. I tried to take the intake boots off today but no luck. Those dang philips head screws wont budge. Ill have to get the right tools. I want to check the orings and possibly buy new boots if needed. I did get my tach cable installed and i have the idle set at about 1000 and after riding it gets up to about 2500 or more. so im still working on it. But again thanks for everything.. Brandy

1982 GS650GL

There is a side cover on e-bay that would fit your bike,Also i had to use vise grips on the phillips head screws to get them off of a couple of boots.Once you get one off you can turn the boot to free up the other one.

Comment

Originally posted by apacalypse

1982 GS650GL

Me too, I had a simialr prob, and checked the screws on the boots -engine to carb- and all were easily tightened. Number four had some gunk around the bottom of the boot -engine side- . Now she idles around 1100-1200 even when "hot".
                        Thanks O'gurus of the GS!

Comment

Working...
                        X