Gas line and carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas line and carb question

I have a 1982 gs650e it has 2 lines coming outta the tank one fat one that goes to the fuel rail in back of the carbs and one skinny line that goes to the front of the carbs if i unhook the skinny fuel line with the chock in any postion no fuel flows outta it,the fat line is flowing fuel but i cant get the skinny one to would that effect the bike starting?

I can get the bike to fire over sometimes for 10 or 15 secs then it dies,when i do have it running for the short times if i try to gas it it dies instantly.

I had the carbs apart cleaned them all up and they really wernt bad to start with its got me baffled.

that smaller line doesn't flow fuel, but is what causes the vacumm to get the tank pressurized to force fuel down the bigger line
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Right, the smaller hose is a vacuum line, not a fuel line. If you run the bike without it hooked up, your bike should run badly. With the bike on "prime" the fuel will flow through your larger line even when the bike is not running, but on "run" or "reserve", gas should only flow when the bike is running.

Comment

gas/vacumn line

The small line you're seeing is a vacumn source to the petcock. It prevents fuel from accidentally flowing and flooding the carbs or crankcase in the event of a leaking float valve. The float bowl SHOULD hold enough fuel to start the engine even when there is no vacumn present, then the vacumn should open the petcock internally. That is normal operation. If th float bowls have leaked or evaporated their fuel out, you switch the petcock to "prime" which should fill the float bowls, and away you go.

Comment

I have a quandry...I have 3 lines that come from little tees in between the carbs and no fuel line. Since the thing cames in boxes, I didn't have the pleasure of seeing how it was hooked up to the gas tank. Any help?

Comment

Originally posted by OklahomaPomade
            I have a quandry...I have 3 lines that come from little tees in between the carbs and no fuel line. Since the thing cames in boxes, I didn't have the pleasure of seeing how it was hooked up to the gas tank. Any help?
            Go to www.bikebandit .com and look up the schematic there.It should show you what you want to know.

Comment

Well, that helped me to find the nipple in the back of the #2 carb. Is that the fuel supply line? And these three coming from between the carbs, are they some sort of vent tubing? Where does the vacuum line to the petcock come from?

Comment

Well, that helped me to find the nipple in the back of the #2 carb. Is that the fuel supply line? And these three coming from between the carbs, are they some sort of vent tubing? Where does the vacuum line to the petcock come from?
                The vacumn line goes in front of carb #2 and the fuel line is in the middle of all four by your idle adjustment screw and the others between 1and 2 and 3 and 4 air air lines to allow your float bowls to vent.Make sure they are clear of abstuction so they can "breath" or you will have trouble.

Comment

Got it, thanks. (now I just need to find the idle ajd. screw)

Comment

Got it, thanks. (now I just need to find the idle ajd. screw)
                    You cant miss it! Its the knurled screw in the middle of the carbs on the back side.If you need to "idle up" its easier to give it a little throttle.It will turn easier for you.Be careful or you will burn your hand.Its in a tight place!

Comment

I think I figured it out. Bike 75% complete. Still need to do the front brake. Figure out why my rear brake is locking up. Get an ignitor. New tires. New front turn signals. Then a couple weeks road time to work out whatever bugs pop up. (I shoulda took photos before I started!!!)

Comment

I think I figured it out. Bike 75% complete. Still need to do the front brake. Figure out why my rear brake is locking up. Get an ignitor. New tires. New front turn signals. Then a couple weeks road time to work out whatever bugs pop up. (I shoulda took photos before I started!!!)
                        try cleaning the caliper and greasing the brake pins that they slide on.These are floating brakes on the back and need to slide easily.

Comment

Working...
                        X