Wiring Harness Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Harness Help

I got this 79 GS550E a couple of months ago as a project (oldest story here), part of it was in boxes. Anyway, upon reassembly, I discovered an extra plug, near the rear of the bike...seems as though I am missing part of the wiring harness. I suspect it has to do with the charging/ignition system but I have no diagram for it. The male end looks like this.

Br Bl/W
    G/W Bl/Y
    O/W W

Any help here would be hot.

Also, like I said, the electrical on this thing is a mess, any diagram help would be nice. So far it has gon together pretty well just by matching colors and stuff. However, since all the little doo-dads have been removed, it's hard to know where the voltage reg, etc...are hooked up.

Thanks.

Looks like it should hook into the ignitor. B/W is ground, O/W B/Y and W are generally the colors that go to the coils, and I'm betting the other two colors come from the points or signal generators.

Comment

...and the ignitor is where exactly? Same goes for the points and signal generators. I know what points are, but signal gens? Wherethakeck?! I see nothing about this in the literature I've found. The points I can find (though the book isn't clear as to which side they are on) The nomenclature is still kinda new to me.

Just to be sure I went to manualclub.com and downloaded a manual w/schematics. NOW I AM REALLY LOST! My frame says "GS550E" but my bike (originally) is clearly a "GS550L" according to the photos. It shows that the "E" has a rectifier AND a regulator, while the "L" has an integrated type.

I'm starting to feel like I'm over my head on this wiring...kinda like a british car.

Comment

Just checked Bike Bandit for a schematic on your bike. You have a points type ignition so you don't have a signal generators or an ignitor. The points will be on the right end of the crank under the round cover. I still believe from your description of the wire colors that those are ignition wires. The orange and white most likely goes to both coils, black and yellow goes to one coil and white to the other. Black and white is a ground. The other two probably supply power to the points. Black and yellow usually goes to the coil for 2&3 and the white goes to the coil for 1&4. Pull the tank off and check your coils, I think you'll find the leads that feed the coil are those colors. Someone with a bike like yours will have to answer what it plug into.

Comment

Thanks, i'll check the coils. I'm pretty sure it's not the coils because they each have thier own plugs. The one I have here is a single. Besides I am pretty sure my coils are already plugged in...unless it's the other (motor) end????

Comment

Originally posted by OklahomaPomade
            NOW I AM REALLY LOST! My frame says "GS550E" but my bike (originally) is clearly a "GS550L" according to the photos. It shows that the "E" has a rectifier AND a regulator, while the "L" has an integrated type.
            Oddly enough, the designation "GS550E" on your frame means nothing. You must decipher the entire VIN to get the correct information. Though components can always be modified or replaced, if your bike has the "L" style frame, seat, tank, bars and forks... your bike is an L model.

Comment

L or E

It is possible to mate parts from othertype/years with the 77-79 frames.. need to look at the parts catalog for a clearer picture idea on the real frame type... I took a "c" model 78 550 and have put pullbacks on it and the mag wheels from a 550e.... (including the rear disc brakes from drum brake system)

Joe

Comment

Now THAT makes sense...thanks guys...any input on the mysterious plug?

Comment

Aw c'mon guys...just lift the seat and tell me. I'm dyin' from the suspense!!

Comment

Well, it turns out, it IS for the ignitor. I OHM test between the coils and this mysterious plug and 'presto' continuity! SO, it looks like I didn't get an ignitor with this bike...time to look for one.

Thanks guys!!! Y'all are great!

Comment

Glad you got things figured out.

Comment

Working...
                      X