Starter 81 750 t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter 81 750 t

Went out to start my bike, started, stalled went to restart, spun then nothing, just the relay clicks. Took a test lite,there is power to the starter but nada. Took off stator cover all looks fine. Can these be over hauled or is it time for new or can you get rebuilt?

bmac

Yes, they can be rebuilt. Yes, you can buy a rebuilt. Yes, you can save a bunchabux if you do it yourself. Not hard, just a lot of dirty work. Carbs probably have to come off the bike for clearance, I'm not sure about the 750 engine, they do for the 550.

These guys have the parts you need. www.stockers.com

Comment

Thanks Jim for the reply and the web for the parts.

Thanks again bmac

Comment

Check the brush lengths and polish up the commutator with some fine sandpaper and clean out the grooves. The commutator is the part of the starter the brushes make contact with.

Comment

I don't recommend sandpaper for that, although it probably won't hurt a thing if it's fine enough, use emory cloth to polish the commutator.

Comment

Thanks Billy, I have had the carbs off many times whats one more time. I will take the time to take apart and clean thoroughly. I checked the web site posted for starters and I have to see if it has 2 or 4 brushes. In any event, I will take apart and clean first. Thanks for the info.You guys are great!!!!!!!

bmac

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
              I don't recommend sandpaper for that, although it probably won't hurt a thing if it's fine enough, use emory cloth to polish the commutator.
              I should have qualified that advice. You don't want to use 80 grit. Fine wet and dry in about a 600 grit. Even with emory cloth make sure it is a fine grade or a worn out piece.

Comment

Check the ground for the starter

If the starter benchtests ok, wire brush the bolts that mount the starter(they establish the ground). I had the same symptoms as you and once I had wire brushed the crud off of the bolts I never had another problem with it.

Comment

Thanks Granda, I,ll check that to, I'll loosen the screws first, retighten and run a temp. ground to the starter case. I'll cover all the bases first!
                  Thanks for your input all is appreciated.

bmac

Comment

Well guys, got curious last nite and pulled the starter. Not a bad job did not have to pull the carbs. Took the starter apart and there was hardly
                    any thing left of the brushes and 2 leads of the 4 were broken. I guess 20 yrs. of sitting and Me ...... working on it to get it to run has had an impact on it. The bike has 7500 miles but the starter brushes looked to
                    have 75000. Time to replace starter!!!!!

bmac

Comment

Working...
                    X