Stuborn phillips head screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuborn phillips head screws

I tried to remove the clutch cover case on my 1981 GS650G and found I could not keep the screwdriver inside the screw head when I turned hard. I am afraid I will strip the screw head and blow any chance of ever getting them out again. I will replace the screws with cap screws when I reassemble. How do you guys loosen the phillips head screws without stripping them? Thanks.

Impact driver or use the tip found in the Tips and Tricks section if you don't have an impact driver.

Comment

I tried to get mine off too, but rust had it's way with them and a few of them are half stripped. I'm gonna try the impact screwdriver from HF

Comment

Mind you, you don't have to use the IMPACT part of the driver! Usually they just have a better bit and a little more leverage on the handle so you can twist the screws out easier. Only use impact as a last resort. Then, if possible, have someone hold a large hammer on the bottom side to make it more solid, instead of torquing the handlebars.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Granda, I found using 1/4 inch set , use 1/4 inch socket with PHILLIPS tip
          tap rachet with small hammer and turn to remove, this is the method I used. Good luck.

bmac

Comment

Impact driver is one of the best tools I've ever purchased.

First day I got it, I wanted to take it to bed with me.

Comment

Impact wrench and WD40

Comment

Maybe a friends air impact wrench w/phillips bits..

Originally posted by Steve
                Mind you, you don't have to use the IMPACT part of the driver! Usually they just have a better bit and a little more leverage on the handle so you can twist the screws out easier..
                I bought a cheap impact set (from JCW I think) & didn't find the process of wacking the thing w/a hammer while against the screw in the bike successful or comforting... BUT, as above, it did have a nice variety of bits. It turns out the various bits & adapter work perfectly w/my $15 (HarborF) air impact wrench. Liked that you could apply alot of pressure on the gun & feather the screw out. You can apply just the pressure you need & watch the screw as it loosens.

P.S. The $80 Pepboys 2-tank air compressor was one of my favorite purchases (better than my other cheapo non-tank compressors, not as good as pro & certainly not for high-vol jobs like painting). Got the accessories from JCW or HarborF (hose, adapter kit, wrench, sockets, etc.) & came out < $150 for the whole getup.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2006, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X