Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Suzuki GS850G - How to Remove the Starter Motor

Hello all;

I am trying to figure out how to remove the starter motor on my 1982 Suzuki GS850G.

The Haynes manual I have, says to: 1) remove the cover plate, and 2) that "the motor is secured to the crankcase by 2 bolts which pass through the left hand end of the motor casing".

But, I can't seem to find the bolts?? I felt on the right hand side of the motor and it feels like there are 2 bolts there (I can't really see because the carbs and gas tank are above this area). However, I can't seem to get a socket on them and loosen them. As I can't really see if they are the bolts that secure the motor, I wanted to see if anyone might be able to confirm this, or point me in the right direction.

As for a little backgound: I recently this bike on eBay. It has been running very well and I've put around 1,000 miles on it in the past 5 weeks or so. The bike would turn over and start OK when cold, but then became harder and harder to start when hot (the starter would just barely turn over -- maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn, but the bike would finally start). If I let the bike cool down overnight it would start OK the next day. When I stopped for gas the other night, all it would not start and a guy gave me a jump -- which took some time as the starter still would not turn over. Finally got it jumped, but then stopped it (DUH!!!). Then jumping it did nothing but make the solenoid click. The guy gave me a push and I popped the clutch to get it started. Have been popping the clutch for about 3 days now -- bike runs A-OK once started. I replaced the battery, but the soleoid just clicks -- starter won't turn at all. I checked the battery -- 12.6 volts. I then checked the voltage at the starter motor and it was only 6-7 volts when trying to start. When I removed the cable from the starter, the voltage on the cable was 11.9 volts when trying to start.

Figure the starter is bad and need to remove it -- unless someone knows of something else.

Any help will definitely be appreciated.

TIA.

Charles...

Carbs have to be removed from the engine to get the clearance to remove the starter.

Comment

Re Starter Remove

I've Got The Same Bike With The Same Problem..................

I'd Be Interested To Know How You Fixed It Cause Its Got Me Stumped.

I Thought It Might Be In The Charging System Though.

Thanks

Comment

Yup, you gotta take the airbox and carbs out to get the clearance. Once you can see what you're doing, it'll be obvious from there. The manuals are remarkably unclear about many crucual details like this.

You could remove the bolts with the carbs in place, but you can't remove the starter with the carbs in the way.

Removing the airbox and carbs only takes about five minutes once you have a bit of practice. While you have them out, you might as well put in new intake o-rings (and possibly intake boots) and put new seals in your cam chain tensioner if you haven't already.

I also agree that the starter needs to come out for diagnosis. If it turns out that you need brushes (if you're a DIY kinda person) or a rebuilt starter, Stocker's Starters are the people to call.
        Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

starter rebuild procedure

once you get it out, here's how it gets rebuilt - see if it's something you'd want to tackle. Story refers to a quad, but procedure is the same for a bike. Starter rebuild kits are commonly available from delaers.

If you find one of the magnets has come loose, just clean out all the shavings as best you can and epoxy it back in place.

Comment

I have an 82 gs850 and within the first week of owning the bike the starter went out. Not knowing that much about bikes I did not want to remove any more parts than I had to. It is very tight but you can get the starter out and back in without removing the air box or the carbs. It may have taken a little longer my way but It is possible.

Comment

OK -- I wasn't really looking forward to removing the airbox and carbs. Can you tell me what size socket fits on the bolts and any tips for getting those bolts loose/out?

TIA.

Charles...

Comment

Oh!

BTW... thanks to all the rest of you for the input -- if I have to take the carbs out, I'll have to do it -- but not looking forward to it.

Also, thanks for the articles and links.

Charles...

Comment

I've owned two consecutive 1982 GS850G's. I'll tell you that one can take out the starter without removing the carbs. I've done it, more than once. It's not easy, and it takes some patience, but one can loosen and remove the two bolts by using an extension and a 10 or 12 (forget which) mm socket. Then remove the electrical lead, and wriggle the starter out of the cradle.

It's difinitely easier to do this without the carbs there, but it's nice to know that the job of removing the starter can be done even with the carbs in place.

Comment

The starter bolts require a 10mm socket

At least they do on my 650. I was able to tilt the carbs up out of the way. I did not need to remove the airbox. Use a 1/4" ratchet and socket on the front starter bolt to avoid the cam chain tensioner. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks to everyone!!

I just pulled the starter without pulling the carbs (took a 10mm socket and a universal adaptor). Had some trouble getting the socket to seat on the bolts, then loosen them, and then a little more trouble removing the starter... but with a little twisting, it came out A-OK.

Unfortunely, the nut on the wire fell down below the starter and into a hole in the basin where the starter resides. I was told this is just a vent hole (in another thread), but wanted to check with someone to see if that nut fell all the way through or is banging around inside the engine somewhere.

OBTW... the starter's armature has all kind of broken wires so that's what the problem was. I have another post (Need starter for an 82 GS850G) asking for advice on which way to go.

Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Charles...

Comment

The hole at the bottom of the starter cavity is just a drain hole. This question came up a while back, and I took these photos on my giant paperweight GS850 engine:

The drain hole in question:

Where it comes out:
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The mounting bolts for the starter are 10mm. All the rebuild parts you'll need are available from Suzuki.Take the starter out and take it apart before ordering the parts. Some have the two brush and some the four brush starter.

Comment

10mm socket

My 1100G also utilizes 10mm bolts, so it's very likely the 850 is the same. On my 1100G, the starter can be fairly easily removed without touching any other component (aside from the starter cover, of course).

If it turns out to be bad brushes (a common problem when they go bad), rebuild kits can cost under $50 for 4-brush motors ... don't know about the 2-brushers... New starters run about $300, and rebuilts are roughly half that, so if you are up to the challenge it's worth it to do it yourself!

Good Luck!!

Comment

...oops, responded without realizing I hadn't read the second page reporting your mission had already been accomplished. Good luck finding a new starter!

Comment

Working...
                              X