clutch adjustment issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch adjustment issues

So I adjusted my clutch cable as per the manual and now the bike won't shift from neutral to first. It goes to second and then usually (sometimes not) will shift down to first. Any suggestions? I've tried readjusting the adjuster screw several times between the 1/4 and 1/2 turn suggested off of the clutch and then locking the lock nut but nothing seems to help.

it sounds like its not disengaging the clutch enough, try turning out the cable adjusters a few more turns. does the bike try to roll away when clutch is pulled in and its running in gear?

Comment

Did you start your adjustment process at the bottom of the cable? Go back to the top end of the cable and adjust it for the most slack possible. Now go back down to the bottom end and adjust it there so there is just a little bit of slack and lock it down. Now you can go back to the top to fine-tune the adjustment. As the cable ages and stretches, you should be able to compensate entirely at the top adjuster.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You should have about 1/8" gap between the lever and the clutch perch. You've adjusted properly at the sprocket cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
          Did you start your adjustment process at the bottom of the cable? Go back to the top end of the cable and adjust it for the most slack possible. Now go back down to the bottom end and adjust it there so there is just a little bit of slack and lock it down. Now you can go back to the top to fine-tune the adjustment. As the cable ages and stretches, you should be able to compensate entirely at the top adjuster.

His adjustment procedure calls for adjustment of a set screw on the sprocket cover. There is a rod that runs through the transmission to the pressure plate.

Comment

No on the bike "running away". I believe I have done all of the adjustment correctly. The bottom adjuster is at its max and the adjuster on the clutch leaver is at about a quarter of the way out which gives it the 2-3 mm of play suggested. I've fiddled up and down with it a bit but am not getting any love. It worked fine before but I messed with it because there was a huge amount of play in the cable when I bought it. Maybe the play in the cable was necessary?

Comment

Firgured out the issue and thought I would post it as its a minor rookie mistake that others may avoid headache over. The problem was nothing to do with the clutch but the shifter which I adjusted its placement lower because of my height. Turns out it was hitting the bar and not getting low enough to go into first. Adjusted it and it works like a champ. Thanks for everyones advice though.

Comment

Your cable may be shot and stretching when it's pulled in. If that's the case you'll never get it right. Try a new cable.

Comment

Working...
                X