Bumpy Ride? New Shocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumpy Ride? New Shocks!

I was thinking about replacing the shocks on my 1980 GS850G, but I don't want to buy another set of the OEM shocks. I'm thinking some nice air shocks would be nice, but I would settle for springs. Will any shock work, are they universal? Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Justin

Alot of guys around here run progressive rates in the front and ikons in the rear.

Comment

Get the shocks that are listed for your bike. I have the 12 series progressive suspension rears....way better than my worn out OEM's. Shock and springs are sold separately, so it helps to buy them from a place that will put the springs on for you. You can get black or chrome springs, standard or heavy duty. They only have spring pre-load adjustment, more expensive shocks usually are more adjustable.

Here is what bikebandit lists for your bike from progressive: http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...ion_Path~3.asp
      Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I've had Progressive shocks on mine for about seven years, and they are still working quite well. IKON, Hagon, and Works also make shocks for our bikes.

There are some real cheapo Emgo shocks out there for around $80 a set. These might hold up the back of the bike adequately, but that's about it.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X