Rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie

I have puchased a GS 850 GL 1981-82,It has been appearance modified to look like a chopper.I believe it has BS32SS carbs on it.No airbox,and straight pipe exaust.I can get it to start easy and idle great,when i open the throttle it just bogs out and if i hold it there it will die.I know that the airbox and exaust mod require rejetting,How do i tell if this has been done by looking at the parts?I puchased a carb rebuild kit and installed it,this did not help.The petcocks are not stock and the person i boght from has the vent tube from the top of the motor running to the vaccum port on th front of the carbs is this wrong?Im sorry if i dont know what some of the parts are called or what they do but,i am new to working on bikes and i do have some common sense,please help me learn to work on this stuff myself.

The hose from the top part of your engine is for a crankcase filter. If the petcock does not have a nipple for a vacuum line you need to block off the vacuum line on the carbs and get a crankcase breather filter for the other. If this does not help you need to check compression, check valve clearance and possibly rejet for all these mods. Did the po have this bike running with all these mods? Are you running this bike with NO air filters?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thank you,the person i bought it from said he rode it all last year and his brother the year before.Just for my trial and error i dont have filters on it but will be putting pods on it if i know its going to run.I am reading alot on this site and learning alot.This is the coolest site.

Comment

Where the carbs already jetted for pods? If not you'll also be rejetting. You can't run these bikes without filters, they don't run right.
        Last edited by chef1366; 06-21-2006, 12:43 AM.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef is absolutely right, there, there needs to be a filter of some sort for these bikes to run right.

If you have nothing at all in front of the carbs, try this to see if it helps:
          Start the bike and try to blip the throttle. Chances are, you will not get much. Now hang a shop rag or towel over the intakes to the carbs (where the airbox or pods would go). If you have some zip-ties handy, cinch the rag around the opening of #1 and #4 to hold the rag in place. Start the engine, blip the throttle again and notice the improvement.

NOTE: this is not meant as a substitute for a proper filter, but I have found it very helpful while working on the bike when the airbox/pods were removed.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thank you i will try this and let you know,also i have thought that i will buy some mufflers too,that has to help.Where can i find detailed info on how the mikuni CV style carbs work?I want to study this info and learn every thing,just short of an expert about these carbs.Thanks again.

Comment

Check out the carb clean-up series on the homepage of the site. It gives a very detailed walk through of how to clean the carbs properly.

Brad tt

Comment

Thanks bradleymaynar,I just got done printing the whole bit out to make a referance book for myself.

Comment

Working...
                X