Shock length and spring weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock length and spring weight?

I have a 1984 GS1100GK and I'm replacing front springs to progressives and I want to replace the rear stockers as well. I want to go with Progressive 412 series shocks with heavy duty springs.

I believe the stock length of the rear shock is around 13 inches.

I called Progressive's tech line and the rep told me that they recomend a shock length of 12.5 inches for my bike. They also recomend a spring weight of 120/170 pounds.

I have read that some bike owners went to a longer shock, 13 or 13.5 inches to improve handling.

My question is can I simply get a Progressive series 412 shock that is 13 inches long instead of the 12.5 incher? The rep gave me a universal adapter part number for bushings if I needed it, but she did not recomend straying from the 12.5 inch length, saying that the engineers designed the shock in 12.5 inch for a reason.

What type of performance increase/decrease can I expect for getting a longer/shorter rear shock? I'm not an all out top end performance type rider, but I do enjoy spirited rides and would appreciate some better handling characteristics. Seeing as that I'm changing the shock I might as well get as much for my money as possible.

I'm 200 lbs and I have the stock shock on the highest dampner setting (#4) and I don't bottom out now, but I plan on doing some 2 up riding soon with loaded bags.

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Also, here is a website with progressive shock lengths. My recomended manufacture # is 4124207C for the 412 series 12.5 inch.

Down the page there are the 13 inch lengths. I tried to narrow down the closest match for the 12.5 stock number. I think it would be #4124212C. Not the most scientific match data but seemed reasonable from the groupings of the 12.5 incher group. Called that website and the rep could not recomend a match and echoed the progressive rep.

http://www.accwhse.com/progress.htm#Shocks

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2006, 01:53 PM.

Come on,... Somebody?

Keith Krause, PlaneCrazy, DaveDanger, AOD, Redman, Argonsagas, Billy Ricks, 83GK, Kalessin, Bwringer, ...Where are you guys????

Anyone!!!!

Comment

I think I would ask myself: Do you think the frame/suspension design engineers missed thinking of this, kinda simple don't you think? How is my bike going to handle if I change the front and rear geometry; who's idea of 'better' means what? Even the aftermarket suppliers don't recommend a change from stock shock length.

Heavier springs for two up, sure change 'em, but I wouldn't change shock length.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
        I think I would ask myself: Do you think the frame/suspension design engineers missed thinking of this, kinda simple don't you think? How is my bike going to handle if I change the front and rear geometry; who's idea of 'better' means what? Even the aftermarket suppliers don't recommend a change from stock shock length.

Heavier springs for two up, sure change 'em, but I wouldn't change shock length.
        Awww, what do engineers know, anyway? \\/

Ignoring all their knowledge I went with one inch over stock, 13.5" off the top of my head, Ikon rear shocks on my '83 GS1100E. The ride is much better than stock, due to the quality of the shock, nothing to do with the length. The handling quickened up quite a bit due to the increased rear ride height. Lane changes take just a light push (or pull) on the handlebars and countersteering in general is much easier. The increased ride height helps keep stuff from dragging in corners. At the North Carolina Rally guys I was riding with were grinding pegs and centerstands while I was spark and pucker free. I also ride two-up a lot so I figure that when riding two-up my ride height will be the same as the engineers originally intended. As an added benefit, putting the bike on the centerstand is now almost effortless.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Jimcor and Joe thank you for the response.

Jimcor, I may have not worded my question properly. I agree with your setiments about stock length and why change from it. That is why I found Progrssive's decision to stray from a Suzuki stock length of 13 " for my 84 GS1100GK and make their shock 12.5" somewhat disconcerting.

I have heard they (Progressive) are a very good company and produce nice shocks so I'm tempted to take their recomendation for a 1/2" shorter shock, but when I see some aftermarket supply stores like Bike Bandit list a warning directly below their shock listing for my bike that the bike may handle somewhat slower due to the shorter length it leaves me puzzled as to why Progressive's engineers strayed from Suzuki's. http://www.bikebandit.com

Hmmm, I think its a decision of which engineers, Suzuki's or Progressives, to trust. (Or like Joe pointed out neither of them.)

Now when I want to order a shock for my bike and stay with Suzuki's recomended lentgh I have to order a shock for a plain GS1100G instead of one for my GK. Kinda weird. That is at least if I'm going to get a Progressive shock. I have yet to check out Ikons or other manufacturers lengths.

Joe, I like your reasoning. I think I'll either get the Progressive 13" thats close to my stock length or even a 13.5".

I really like my bike. I put a Rick's RR and did the obligatory tune up when purchasing a second hand vehicle; i.e. Plugs, fluid changes and other small items that crop up. I also put a custom seat on it.

I spent a healthy sum on braided brake lines, kits to rebuild all calipers and both master cylinders, new pads and have new Progressive front fork springs ready to put in. The bike runs great and I'd like to see what the front springs, shocks, brake parts and braided lines do for handling and stopping. Right now it dips forward pretty good on hard stopping, actually any stopping for that matter.

Only three things stopping me from getting it done. I don't want to stop riding, I'd like to get my boat out of the garage for more space and the decision over shock length.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2006, 03:52 PM.

Comment

My 850G called for and received 13 inch Progressives.

I don't have the foggiest idea why Progressive would list a 12.5 inch shock for the GK -- if I'm reading this correctly, the stock length on a GK is 13 inches.

I'm a great shambling galoot who rides way too damn fast, so I found that the heavy duty springs were still too light for any 2-up riding. After shuffling through the Dennis Kirk catalog, I found even heavier shock springs for the 12 series shocks, and ordered up a set.

Riding by myself and with light luggage, I have preload set at #2 out of five. With my wife, preload goes to #4 or #5 depending on the amount of luggage she's dragging along.

Anyway, on your GK, I personally would order up a 13 inch set of shocks with heavy duty springs and ignore the silly 12.5 inch recommendation. If anything, the slight amount of extra length will only improve handling, and with all the luggage and bodywork, the extra ground clearance will be welcome.

If you are also a huge galoot who rides too fast for decent people, you may wish to order up the super-heavy-duty springs. I think they may be listed under early Gold Wings or somesuch.

With these old bikes, you have to be very skeptical of catalog listings.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer

I'm a great shambling galoot who rides way too damn fast,
              Ditto bwringer, Ditto
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks BW.

Whereas I probably don't ride as fast as you and Chef yet, I just may get there someday. :-D Still learnin' the ropes though. But, I'm definitely going to go with the 13 inchers on my GS GK.

Even though I probably don't eat as much as the Chef, I also like the idea of the heavy duty ones, which I believe are 120/170 rating. The highest for that shock.

Thanks for the setting info.

Comment

There may be 210/170 spring available for that shock.

Progressive will sell, if you ask, a 210/170 or in that range shock.
                  It's been a few years since I changed the rear shocks on my 1000S.
                  Doesn't matter if it's a G or S, shocks work the same.

I'm around 250 lbs and ride 2 up.
                  With the current Progressive shock/spring combo I can usually get away with the 2/nd setting for me.
                  With my wife on the back, usually the 3/rd setting, sometimes the 4/th.

Call them again and ask if the have any "special order" or extra heavy springs.

Oh and as to the length, see Joe Nardy's reply. Go with the 13 inchers
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

My Progressive shock springs have "1365 120/170" printed on them. That's probably the part number and the spring rate range. (On progressive-rate springs, the spring rate goes up as the spring is compressed.)

Hope this helps some other galoot...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

BW, can you get a part #

BW, could you go to the first post on this thread and see my link to American Motorcycle Accesory Warehouse. If you have a minute can you go to that link and check out thier 412 series chrome shocks down the page and see the 13 inchers. They have the lowest prices I've seen for the 412's and they have quite the selection, only they don't label the pound ratings for each spring. I think they must expect one to know the ratings already. Dennis Kirk wants around $250 for their heavy duty shock which I believe is 120/170.

Bike Bandit is down to $217, but the site doesn't say what the spring rate is for their "Heavy Duty" application. Might be the same or might not.

I went to MAW and looked for something resembling the 1365 number on your 120/170 shock, which is the poundage I want to aim for. Nothing really matched definitively. Maybe I'm missing something.

KGB, I weigh in the low 190's when I keep my exercise regime and eating habits in check, which, as we all know is no easy task. I think the 120/170's may be the choice since I do mostly one up. That being said, I wasn't aware Progressive even made a spring that heavy (170/210) and if you would'nt mind checking that aforementioned link for a reference number it would be appreciated.

My only question now is about the shock I need fitting the eye bolt. BW, can I go with a shock made for a Gold Wing and would it fit my bolts or do I need an adapter kit or something? Basically is there a big size differential on UJM's for shock eye bolts? Also, if I did go with one of those after market supply stores, can they fit heavier springs to a shock that fits my bike?
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2006, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, on that link to MAW there is a "Touring Magnum" shock made for BMW's and Gold Wings. Its a mechanical shock instead of air. One size listed is 13.25 inches, # (48862). Kind of an appealing size.

What are the benefits/drawbacks to mechanical vs air shocks? I've heard members say that they have disregarded the air adjustabilty with their front forks/springs when they installed Progressive springs up front. Would this logic work for the rears too?

Would these just bolt up to my bike?

Comment

I stand corrected.
                          My springs are 120/170 #1365 is listed on them.
                          Keith
                          -------------------------------------------
                          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks KGB.

Comment

Working...
                            X