Voltage Regular Solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage Regular Solution?

My GS1100 had been off the road for quite some time before I revived it recently. My first trip down the highway with it, my ass started getting hot. I pull over, smoke is coming off the red wire from the volt regulator, my tail light exploded, and the battery is bubbling like its filled with fresh soda. Whip out the volt meter... yup 17+ volts.

After reviewing the wiring diagram, I saw that the three phases of the alternator all work together through the rectifier to make one circuit. All three of these legs are connected through diodes as well. So I come to the solution, if its overcharging, why not make it charge less?

I disconnected the yellow wire from the voltage regulator, thus only sending 2 legs of the AC current to the volt regulator (which is broken anyway) and whala.... 14.9 volts at 5,000 rpm. I have over 500 miles on it since then, battery fluid is still full, starts right up every time, no more blown bulbs, and it seems to be working excellent in every way.

My question is, has anyone else done this? And will I burn out the stator if I keep running it like this? I just dont want to spend the money on the volt reg/stator right now, as I just bought new tires to replace the dry rotted old ones....

Anyone?

I can't be the only one that's thought of this!

Comment

Check out this thread ... it was tailor made for your problem. Make sure you DO order one (even if you need help building it), because if you leave the faulty unit you've got in place it WILL eventually fail completely, and when it does it will take several MUCH more expensive components with it (which is typical with our bikes).

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=92663

Regards,

Comment

Replace it with aHonda reg. You can get late model honda regs for about $30 with shipping on Ebay. Try this thread, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=93612 .

Comment

Working...
        X