Looking at '80 GS750L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at '80 GS750L

I'm looking at a '80 GS750L with 11,000 miles. I ran across this site - Wow there's a lot of expertise here. The bike is in excellent shape, the owner took real good care of it. But, he took off the air box (got rid of it) and put 4 K&N air filter on it. Now he can't get it to run right. Here's my question. Should put a stock air box back on or leave it as is and play around with the jetting? Also, how hard is it to find a used air box? Thanks.

GET ........... an airbox will solve your concerns !!!!!!!!

bmac

Comment

The question is did he already try to jet it? If you want to ride this season get a stock airbox and check for stock jetting. Putting carbs on and off with an airbox is a pita. In the offseason jetting for the K&Ns with a Dynojet kit will improve your performance. Plus those K&N filters are not cheap and I would personally use them because it makes carburetor removal a snap.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Of course, you have to KNOW whether or not he's messed with the carb's jetting before proceeding in either direction.

Comment

Airbox

I'd suggest you get an airbox off of Ebay and keep it stock. I've got the same year and model (all stock) and it runs SOOOOOOOOO good, I'm never gonna mess with it. If he changed some of the jets, it's really easy to change them back. (Getting the carbs off and on the bike is REALLY a PITA but you won't have to do it very often.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks for the input. If I get it, I'm sure I'll be back.

Comment

I would, like stated above, keep the pods and remove the carbs to see if a kit (re-jet) has been installed.

If you will check your main jets we can get you started. While indeed stock is less labor intensive, the carbs are very easy to access with pods. In addition the pods and bigger jets will increase your machines performance and you will have less chances of an air leak (4 boots vs. 8 boots). If price is an issue you would probably come out about the same because you will have to buy the air-box and the 4 boots to secure it to the carbs and perhaps you will also need an air-filter box and certainly an air-filter. USE THE PODS!

Comment

Working...
              X