Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for VM enrichment tube removal anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for VM enrichment tube removal anyone?

Well I need a little help. I'm in the provess of overhauling my VM carbs on a '79 GS850G. I dropped one of the carb bodies (from ony a few inches) and it landed on the brass enrichment tube. It's the thin tube with holes that protrududes downward into the bowl. It actually fits into a seperate small chamber in the bowl. Anyhow, It became bent. While straightening it, the brass tube cracked near where it enters the body. It hasn't come off, but it is now cracked. Since it's brass, I could solder it and make a permanent repair that way but I need to get the thing out ouf the carb body to do that. Is it pressed in or screwed in perhaps? My feeling is that it's pressed in. I used a propane torch and heated the carb area near the tube hoping it might expand enough to let me pull the tube out but no go. Anyone had an success removing these tube or know of a fix?

As far as I can tell they are pressed in. Being brass, and 25 years old, its hard to tell if youd be able to get it in or out without totally destroying it. Im not sure on the soldering part, but I would think that would be OK as long as the passages arent blocked (look carefully, there are some right next to the carb body). Hopefully somebody will confirm or deny that.

Probably your best (and safest) bet would be to snag another carb from a member or flea bay.

Comment

Choke tube

I have one that's broke ,#4 it seems to work fine. There pressed in but be very careful, I was dumb enough to ask the Zuki dealer mechanic about them on his Bad day. He told me they are only available if you ordered a new carb body.Why are dealers so ticked off all the time? If you buy the carb don't they make money?? I'm never able to buy a new bike. Don't know if I would want one. The old girls are more fun.

Comment

I think I'll try some JB Weld on it. I don't want to try to remove it for soldering and risk breaking it off completely.

Comment

Working...
        X