Tire Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Choice

I plan on replacing my tires this winter. My rear Bridgestone wore out pretty quick, but gave me a good ride. I want to change to either the Dunlop 491 or the Continental high mileage. Which one would be a better choice? The dunlops I have had before, but are a slightly harsher ride, but last. I have heard very good things on the Conti's though and used a set on an SUV with good results (but don't know about the bike versions) any opinions? Thanx in advance.

I was going to go with the Dunlop 491 Elites because everything I read on the web made them sound like you would get a LOT more miles than the Bridgestone S-11, R-11 sets I ran for years. I averaged 8500 mi. on rear and about 20,000 on front,and performance was fine for me.(I'm not a real corner charger) But when I decided to go to an actual tire shop that does nothing but tires, they told me I MAY get 1000 more on the rear and a little more on the front, with the same performance using the Dunlops.
    The Dunlops out here cost $133.95/rear,$109.95 front.(H-rated) The Bridgestones are $100.00 and $85.95. That's about $63.00 more w/tax for only 10-12% longer mileage. So Bridestones are less per mile. I think the guys there are honest because usually a shop tries to talk us into more expensive choice of any two brands. They also told me to run my tires at 36 psi front and rear(solo)and I will get even better miles than I was getting. I always kept them at 28-30psi all these years because factory manual said so.(the brand of tires that were original was a different brand but I did'nt think it mattered much.) This was my first time to an actual tire shop,I always bought tires at local parts store and mounted them myself.
    The Dunlops are still good tires I hear,but because you gain nothing in performance, they simply cost more to run. They do come in raised white letters though,if that matters. Brigestone stopped making the rear R-11 RWL in my size,130/90x17,so I had to go back to black. Hope this helps. KK.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

More fuel for the fire:

I just ordered a Rear Dunlop K491 from motorcyclemart.com- 84.00 + 10.00 shipping per tire= 94. They are based in Sacramento. I just ordered on Sat, so I can't vouch for them yet, but I do know they have low prices.....

Comment

You're right,you can save money by ordering over web. $94 is a great price,and the Bridgestones I would think are even cheaper.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

But of course there's a catch....
          Got an email today- the tire is on backorder til January 8th at least. Not a big deal for me since its winter here now, but maybe to some of you lucky year round warm weather dwellers....

Comment

I mounted a set of Dunlop GT501's this year.
            Great tires, plenty of stick and they seem to be wearing very well.
            I ordered one locally, the front I got thru MAW, motorcycle accesory wharehouse. They were the cheapest price wise and did ship quickly.
            I love them so far.
            I did about 6-7K on them so far, no sign of wear.

These are on a GS1000S.
            My wife rides with me as a passenger, and noticed a big difference.
            I did about 70 miles, highway speeds, in the rain and had no problems.

Keith
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
            X