Where's 6th gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's 6th gear?

Hi all. Stupid question. As far as I know, my gs300L has a 6th gear. How do I get there from 5th??? I can't seem to find it.

Originally posted by cheferic
    Hi all. Stupid question. As far as I know, my gs300L has a 6th gear. How do I get there from 5th??? I can't seem to find it.
    Hey bro, I've got a GS700ES and it's only got 5 gears. Your 300 being smaller, is only going to have 5 also. I know it totally feels like it should have 6, but thats how Suzi made em'.
    lostit23

Comment

wow...that is totally such an incorrect statement lostit...I have a gs400, and it has 6 gears...look at your clutch cover, it will tell you if you have 5 or 6 gears...

Comment

Sorry lord and especially chef. Just shows how new of a GS owner i am. Next time I will make sure i'm giving accurate info before i chime in.
        Humbly,
        lostit23 (or losing it??)

Comment

check above your shifter to see how many gears to have... you may just have 5
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

I wish I had a sixth gear....... I keep trying on the highway for it hoping that someday I will find it. But that stupid thing on my dash always just says "5"

Comment

I always kinda wondered if these bikes were final drive (sprocket ratio) geared the way they are because of the federally mandated 55 MPH speed limit back then. Now that it's back to 70 MPH on most interstates, gearing seems alittle high. When I look at other newer bikes and compare rear sprockets, the one on my 750 looks huge.

ghwrenchit

Comment

I have gs650gld, can I add a sprocket for a sixth gear. I know its a long shot, but maybe the engineers were smart enough to think of the future, wait a minute, enigneering intelligence. Thats an oxymoron for you.

Comment

650GLD = shaft?

isn't a 650GLD shaft drive? No luck with adding a sprocket in that case.

Revs makes small motors in bikes perform - I had a ZZR250 that cruised happily all day at 10,000 rpm, you get used to get.

Comment

Yup, its a shafty. Figured as much. Oh well. Thanks though.

Comment

Check the clutch cover like the wise advice of the others says. IF you do have a 6th gear it will be one up from 5th... atleast that's where it is on my 450... but the fact that you can't find it makes me think you might not have a 6th gear... or the PO really buggered up your tranny

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by styxer
                        I have gs650gld, can I add a sprocket for a sixth gear. I know its a long shot, but maybe the engineers were smart enough to think of the future, wait a minute, enigneering intelligence. Thats an oxymoron for you.
                        I had a GS650GLZ for my first bike. Lots of fun, but it definitely could have used a sixth gear. Regrettably, the faint "6" in the gear indicator window was only because that part was also used in one or more models that had six gears. Five is all the GS650GL ever got...

Comment

6th gear

I ask myself thaqt question all the time, with my 83 GS850G....it just seems to really need 6th especially when cruising down a hiway at 70 to 80mph..............or overdrive :-D

Comment

love my overdrive

my 78 550 has a real nice 6th... and i still try for 7.. but am loving the overdrive ... commute daily 50 mi round trip.. and daily rider..(no cage at the moment)

Joe

Comment

I dropped two teeth on my rear sprocket and gained some top end, but it idles really low in first going slow. Stall danger.

I know it doesn't help the shafties, but for us toothy buggers...

Comment

Working...
                              X