starting/charging system problem GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting/charging system problem GS850G

i've got an annoying problem with this otherwise nice bike.

it seems that it starts and cranks well on an intermittent basis. what it does is this; 1. will always start or crank with a jump. 2. sometinmes it cranks well but other times it cranks as if the battery is dead. then with out doing anything else to it it'll crank normal.

i bought a new battery and charged it up and it had been starting fine so i thought it was fixed. wrong. then after using it all day and starting it several time it cranked slow and then had to be jumped upon which it started.

it all seems to be related to the charge system far as i can tell so my question is how to check this out and ultimately how to fix it.

thanks for the help in advance

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_stator_ref.htm

Check this out, it'll help a lot.

Comment

Sounds like it might also have a weak battery. Of course, the battery might be weak because of the charging system.

First, clean and tighten all the connections related to the starter: battery terminals, battery ground to chassis, both terminals on starter solenoid, and the starter wire. Don't forget the starter ground connection...yes, the mounting bolts.

Check the water level in the battery, add DISTILLED water if necessary. Charge at a maximum of 1 1/2 amps overnight. Try to start the bike. If it still seems a bit lacking, have the battery load checked at your favorite auto parts store. If you have to replace the battery, spend a few extra bucks and get a sealed battery. That way you don't have to worry about checking the water level again. Oh, and if you DO get a new battery, charge it overnight before putting it in the bike. It will last much longer if it starts its life with a full charge instead of asking it to start the bike first.

When you know you have a good battery in the system, connect a volt meter to the battery terminals to see what your charging voltage is, usually checked above 2,000 rpm. Should be over 13.6, no need to worry as long as it is under 15.0.

Probably the most important item, if and when you jump-start your bike, make sure the donor vehicle is turned OFF before connecting the batteries. The woefully inadequate rectifier/regulators on our bikes are not equipped to try to regulate the output of an alternator-eqipped vehicle, and tend to go belly-up very quickly when asked to do so.

Once you know you have a good battery and connections and are still not getting a good charge, consult the Stator Papers in the garage section of this site for some good troubleshooting techniques.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

re gs850 charging

thanks for the info and links.

i'll try that this weekend and hope for the best.

i put in a new battery already so it can't be that.

the oddest thing is that after i jump it and ride it around.

for the next few times or so it cranks really hard now especially after the new battery.

good advise on not having the car running too.

thanks again,

fred

Comment

I've had the problem recently with my '81 GS850G, this AFTER I'd put in an Electrex regulator [see "The Stator Papers"]. It turns out there's some sort of bracket in there that had got loose and had cut through some of th wires in the lead out from the stator, reducing the out put, thus not allowing the alternator to charge the battery. A new Electrex stator [$133] solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X