Starter Testing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Testing??

Thanks to all you guys here, I was able to successfully wire up my 79 GS550. Now I get all kinds of little light on the gauges, SUCCESS!!!! Anyway, I made sure it was in neutral, turned the key to the 3rd position, flipped the switch to run, pushed the starter button, and....nuthin'. Not a click, whir, wimper, burst, putter, or gargle. Is there any way to test if this is the starter, the switch, or the solenoid? I suppose I COULD get a voltmeter from work if I had to, but short of that, any shadetree ideas?

Actually, I answered part of my own question. I shorted acress the solenoid and got it to turn over...Starter OK right? On to the switch/button. (I hope it's not the wiring again!)

Comment

Are you pulling the clutch lever in to start the bike? If you are then your problem sounds like a bad solenoid. Do you have fire at the plugs when cranking?

Comment

Originally posted by OklahomaPomade
        Thanks to all you guys here, I was able to successfully wire up my 79 GS550. Now I get all kinds of little light on the gauges, SUCCESS!!!! Anyway, I made sure it was in neutral, turned the key to the 3rd position, flipped the switch to run, pushed the starter button, and....nuthin'. Not a click, whir, wimper, burst, putter, or gargle. Is there any way to test if this is the starter, the switch, or the solenoid? I suppose I COULD get a voltmeter from work if I had to, but short of that, any shadetree ideas?
        HI Oklahoma

I think your answer is in the 3rd sentence of your post. If you put the key in and turned it to "the 3rd position" from that point then it was in the "park" position-off and only the taillight on. From the "Off" position turn the key to the 2nd one and it probably will start. Good Luck!

Scott

Comment

Thanks guys, I knew if I was exact, you'd be able to help me.

Comment

Working...
          X