Re-mounting carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-mounting carbs

This morning I dismounted the carbs on my 1982 GS750TZ in order to fit a new throttle cable. I've just spent two and a half hours trying to re-mount them but without success. Is there some sort of special trick to this?
    If I get the carbs aligned with the shoes on the air box they're nowhere near aligned at the front. If I try connecting them at the front first, I can't get them lined up at the back. This is driving me absolutely *@"#i!! crazy. There must be a knack to this. Please tell me there's a knack. I'm cold and wet and totally fed up and I don't have my bike for tomorrow.
    AAAAAAAArgh!
    Thank you.

Have you loosened up the airbox so you can move it around? In my experience (limited for sure) I hooked up the engine side first then the airbox side ,and then reattached the airbox. Hope this helps, Bill

Comment

The sequence Bill describes is also how I do it. For solving the alignment problem once the carb to engine side is hooked up and the clamps are on and tightened, on my bikes, for the hose/airbox connection, those hoses cans be rotated while in the airbox. They are not straight, but have a slight angle to them, so just rotate them until they line up with the carb. (on my 750's and 1100 anyway) I unbolt the airbox too, so I can shove the tubes over the carb throats, install the clamp rings, and tighten them down before re-bolting the airbox down.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for those replies. I'd tried with the airbox unbolted and with it bolted but I spent most of the time trying to get the rear shoes on first. I'll try getting the front ones sorted out.
        Hopefully, if I give it a rest and return to the job calmer (or at least not boiling over with frustration) it'll all go nice and smoothly and I'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

Comment

I too, take out the box when assembling/dissaembling carbs. I install the carbs first, then 'sqiggle' around the box untill it goes. usually takes about 20 minutes to install or remove everything.

Comment

I've used a little wd-40 to help it slid into place.

Comment

Working...
            X