Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe I'll call my bike lurch (1st gear lurch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'll call my bike lurch (1st gear lurch)

I have A 1980 GL550E and when I put it into 1st gear the bike lurches abit and if I'm pushing it backwards in 1st I can feel a bit of resistance, Thats not there when its in nutral. I had first assumed that the cluch cable needed to be adjusted so I did that it now engages as soon as I start to squeeze the lever. does any body have any ideas?

I'm no clutch expert, but a normal way to test your clutch adjustment is to put the bike on its centerstand, start the bike and put it in first gear.

Disengage the clutch. The tire will probably still rotate, but you should be able to stop rotation with your foot as you place it underneath the rotating tire.

Comment

Originally posted by freakzilla
      I have A 1980 GL550E and when I put it into 1st gear the bike lurches abit and if I'm pushing it backwards in 1st I can feel a bit of resistance, Thats not there when its in nutral. I had first assumed that the cluch cable needed to be adjusted so I did that it now engages as soon as I start to squeeze the lever. does any body have any ideas?
      It's normal. My 80 550E does the same thing till it warms up.
      My clutch works the same way too, and yes, it is adjusted correctly.
      Makes the the transition other bikes strange, to say the least. :-D

Comment

change your oil...

alot of these bikes have that problem.. when cold, they all do it.

Heck, mine even dies sometimes when i pop it into first
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

I changed the oil a few weeks ago after i got the bike I took it out today and warm or cold it does it the same. If you guy say its the same with all of them this old I'll take your word for it thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
          X