Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock Question 83 GS 1100 GK

Hello.

I just picked up an 83 GS 1100 GK and love the bike.

One thing I do want to do is change the front shocks out.
    I read some of the other postings and it seems people are preety high on the progressive shocks.

I have a coupld of questions:

1. Did anyone here ever use these shocks I found via internet search?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...004580/c-10111

2. What is the deal with the air argument? If the springs are new, is air not needed? Does it hurt in any way?

Thanks for your input. You people have helped me alot already.

Brian
    83 GS 1100 GK

Those shocks will not work on the GK. If your looking for front springs, progressive springs are the way to go, install with a spacer ( instructions will tell you how long) and use no air. If you looking for rear shocks, Dennis kirk sells some, but $$$. ( normal GS-type shocks wont work on the GK.) You can modify your bike to use the much cheaper Harley Davidson Air shocks, but it takes some doing.

Comment

83 gk, I have 84 1100 gl what harley shocks will work? Can I add a spacer to my factory front springs and run zero air?

Comment

I wouldnt advise running a spacer with the stock springs. If they are weak, replace them, they are not that expensive, and where safety is concerned, Skimping is not warrented.

As for the Harley shocks, I found mine on EBAY, brand new, for $40.00 You have to cut off the mount stud, drill for a 1/2 sized bolt, and do alittle bending on the RHS tab for teh bottom one to fit, and make a spacer to compensate for stud on the LHS where it mounts on the differential. It is not that hard at all, really. they HD shocks I have come from an Ultra-Classic. they are the air shocks. This all was Way cheaper than the $300 bucks for new Suzuki/Dennis Kirk replacements that are GK-specific. 35PSI in them and they are a good ride.

Comment

Don't be afraid of putting air into your air forks or stock Suzuki air shocks. There's air in there to be compressed, and if you add more air, you add some preload (ride height), and stiffen things up a bit.

Just use an air gauge that can measure at least 0-30 PSI, and use a small bicycle pump. Experiment and see how the air affects things. I run 20w fork oil (next time 15w), 7psi in my front forks, and 18psi in my rear shocks because I do a lot of riding with my gf.

Comment

I have harley shocks on mine

Originally posted by al_brokenwing
            83 gk, I have 84 1100 gl what harley shocks will work? Can I add a spacer to my factory front springs and run zero air?
            Its not for the weak at heart, You must cut off you upper studs center punch them and instal 1/2 inch studs that are longer! Then you must cut the swing arm on the right side and make a new perch because the old perch is too narrow. and on the left side you must drill the center of the stud if it is a drive shaft model and tap it to run a small bolt or have a new stud made if it is a chain model you need to do the same as the right side. If you tackle this use grade 3 bolts and lock nuts .

Pan

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadJosh74
              Its not for the weak at heart, You must cut off you upper studs center punch them and instal 1/2 inch studs that are longer! Then you must cut the swing arm on the right side and make a new perch because the old perch is too narrow. and on the left side you must drill the center of the stud if it is a drive shaft model and tap it to run a small bolt or have a new stud made if it is a chain model you need to do the same as the right side. If you tackle this use grade 3 bolts and lock nuts .

Pan
              That part wasnt hard for me at all. air cutter tool, and off the studs came. I did not cut off my swing arm mount at all, I simply bent and spread it open alittle more to allow for the wider HD shock, and no problem. i did have to use a longer bolt and nut ( I drilled out the original nut-plate). For the other side, I simply made a thin metal spacer ouit of an old bushing I had laying around to take up the room (the HD shock mounting eye is slightly larger) and used the stock shock mounting nut to install. Have run this for 2 years now,with no problems at all. total install/modify time was about 3 hours. I used grade 8 studs. grade 3 is too weak, grade 5 is minimum IMHO....

Comment

Grades,

Grade 3 is plenty fine, A grade we will hold a big block chevy motor mount in place as well as the shackle on a 2 ton pick-up. If you know anything about grading you should know that the higher the grand the more brittle. Grade 5 is ok but grad 8 will snap instead of bend and I dont know about you all but Id rather have my bolt bend if something was to happen then to break. I did my install in about 35 minutes after I got the fender off. Bending that tab back then putting a spacer in it is pretty rigged in my book but to each their own. As they they. Dont get me wrong 83gk there are more then one way to skin a cat and to each their own. I just know better on the bolt issue I went to collage for 4 years and one of my areas of studys was this very issue.

Pan

Comment

I am well aware of grading of bolts. I work in industry that requires use of 5 and 8 grade fasteners. I know there limits, and thier weaknesses and strenghts. You will not shear or break an 8 grade bolt on a shock mount, period. Iyou may think my method was ghetto, but it works, and is great for the person who does not a access to a welder, or have one just laying around the garage.

Comment

Yeah

Nor will you shear or bend a grade 3 on a shock. A stock road king shock bolt is grade 3 and that bike weights in at over 300lbs more dry. As far as a having access to a welder most shops round here would fab and put a new bracket on for you for $10 dollars. To each their own though. Work with what ya got.

Comment

Thanks guys, I may get Harley shocks seeing as they are cheaper. The changing of the bracket seems fairly straight forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X