A little help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help please

Cleaned & rebuilt carbs. Noticed adjustment knob on back side of engine right in the center of crankcase. What does that adjust? Second question: is there a "right way" to clean/restore an stock foam air filter (it's in good shape just a little dirty & not brittle). Any help is greatly appreciated. 81 GS750L

The adjustment knob is for adjusting the idle. The foam filter is probably a Uni-filter. It needs to be washed, dried, and oiled with Uni filter oil.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The ajdustment knob maybe for the cam chain tensioner. The idle screw is usually attached to the carb bank. The tensioner knob will be attached to a small housing that is bolted to the back of the cylinders. You'll need a manual to adjust it. The idle speed screw is attached to the carb bank and has a head for hand adjustment.

See #57

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
        The adjustment knob is for adjusting the idle. The foam filter is probably a Uni-filter. It needs to be washed, dried, and oiled with Uni filter oil.
        Umm, i believe he is referring to the cam chain tensioner...

Don't mess with it, unless you are prepared to take it all apart and clean it.
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

!!!!

This site never lets down. Only way to adjust the cam tesioner is with a manual? I was wondering because it slightly seeps oil. Is that normal? I'll post some pics of my extremely clean gs when I get a chance. This is one of the best specialty motorcycle forums out there. I'm glad to see this many people who love their 20+ year old UJM. People say why don't you get a newer bike but they just don't understand the pride of a classic. Thanks again.

Comment

Cam chain tensioner rebuild with pictures and everything:

They all eventually leak oil, and a few bucks in seals will fix the problem easily.

The part numbers for the seals on your bike may be exactly the same OR they may be completely different. PLEASE verify with your favorite parts source.

The procedure shown is the same for most, if not all, GS models. Some tensioners look a little different, but they all work the same general way.

This will also help you identify the cam chain tensioner positively -- there is an idle adjustment screw under the carbs that you can twiddle to your heart's content, but PLEASE make sure you know which is which.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X