Do 750 & 850 use the same frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do 750 & 850 use the same frame?

There seems to be more aftermarket stuff for the 850 than for the 750. I vaguely recall someone telling me that my '79 GS750L has the same frame as an 850. Can anyone tell me if that's true? It would certainly simplify my search for aftermarket stuff.

It's heartwarming to see the way the senior members on this board pitch in to assist those of us who have only recently discovered the rich and wonderful GS bikes and community. Thanks for being there.

If I'm not mistaken, the 79 750L is a chain drive bike. All 850's are shaft drive.
    Shaft & chain drive bikes have different frames.

Terry

Comment

Frame

In my opinion I am nearly certain the 750, 850 and 1000 all share the same frame. I checked a Suzuki parts site and though the frame is no longer available as there are no part numbers shown, the accessories shown such as mounting hardware and number of attach points share the same part numbers. The pictures of the frames look identical. I think it is a safe bet to assume they are the same, until unless someone has specific knowledge and corrects me.

Bill

Comment

Bill
        Consider yourself corrected. There was NEVER a shaft drive 750 in any market but japan. 80 & 81 850G & 1000G frames are virtually identical. (The exhaust systems will interchange. So will the fuel tanks ) 850GL & 1000GL frames are similar, but completely different from G models. In 1982, Suzuki changed the frames in important ways. The fuel tank mount is the most obvious difference.
        (Two bolts in the rear of the tank as opposed to one). There's more, but I hate to type.
        Chain drive 750s & 1000s have very different frames. Some of the most obvious differences are:
        Steering stem diameter.
        Battery & aircleaner mounting.
        Swingarm
        fork tube diameter.

If there's a different part number for something, something is different!! (I found this out the hard way)

Hope this helps
        Terry

Comment

Thanks for the help

Terry,
          Thanks for the good advice. You've saved me a fortune in add-on goodies that ultimately wouldn't have fit/worked on my 750. Guys like you are the reason I peruse this site daily. Thanks for being there.

Comment

Working...
          X