CV carbs on a 79 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV carbs on a 79 GS1000

I looking at buying a black 79 1000e but it has CV carbs on it which are not original. One member here said to do that you have to have a CV carb head on the bike for it to fit. The seller says the mani boots have to match the carbs but the head does not matter. I would like to make it original with the slide carbs so what is the truth? Dan

bump,anyone

Comment

OK, I can take this one.......The 78 and 79 GS1000 came with VM type carbs, they had small intake ports and a small intake boot....The 1980 heads had a larger intake port and also had a larger intake boot and came with the bigger CV carbs.......The bolt spacing (for the intake boot) is wider on the later model heads....If it has CV type carbs of the correct size for a 1000 on it, it might also have the later model (big port) head on it...BUT!!...there is a Kawasaki intake boot that has the smaller bolt spacing with a boot large enough to fit the bigger CV carbs in it......Hope I didn't lose you. So it's not a clear cut deal, I would not turn it down for just this reason.........If I could see it in person, I could tell you what it is........BadBillyB

Comment

On the front side of the motor/cam chain tunnel look for an extra bolt
        if it has the bolt it is a 1980+ motor NO bolt 79 or older with custom carb manifolds

Comment

Thanks guys that helps a lot. Not having a 78-79 head to count the bolts on top is there any way for me to figure the bolt thing out. Are you talking about the cam cover bolts or what? Dan

Comment

Working...
          X