Pinstriping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinstriping

Well i think its time to have a try at repainting the gs, i read Frank's advice on doing this "in the garage" and have printed it out, my question though is how would i go about replacing the pinstriping? any info would be greaty welcomed, thanks , wrench

One way to go is to buy some pinstriping tape, place it exactly where you want it and clear coat over it. The tape is available on the 'net or at most autobody supply places. Another way, of course is to paint it on either by yourself or have someone do it for you. Just a thought.
    Another way is to do as I did when I repainted my 1000S. When I masked the tank and fairing I put some fine line masking tape about 3/16" from the masking between the two colors. After spraying the 2nd color, I pulled the masking away was left with a pinstripe of the same color as the base color. I got alot of compliments on it so I doubt I was the only one that thought it looked good.

Comment

You can also try the suzi dealer. iwent through Honda to redo my 85 Nighthawk that I used to have. they had all the stripes, custom for the bike, and while alittle high, it looked real good.

Comment

Have you checked the web to see if someone is making repoduction pinstripe for your bike. I'm sure I've seen someone doing this but I can't re-find it now.
        I know one place make some great reproduction stickers and decals http://www.reproductiondecals.com/de...tent.html~main. Might check with them.

Comment

Point to note, Wrench:

Some spray paints react very badly to gasoline spills.

I did my bike using Canadian Tire paints. Came out far better than I expected.

I made an error and filled the fuel tank completely...no air space. Hot day, poor seal, and some gas escaped from under the cap and leaked backwards, making bubbly lines in the paint. Gas ate through the clear and base coats. Nothing to do but strip it and repaint it.

From questions I asked of various local suppliers, the same result is probable with spray cans they sell. They recommend you go all out and do it, or get it done, with commercial quality paint.

Earfor recommended one, and I checked it out. It uses several components in the base and in the clear coat, and, of course, you need a compressor and quality spray equipment. Paint is not cheap either.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

thanks guys, any sliver of information is glady accepted, my gs is in pretty good shape apart from a previous home done paint job, i'm sure i can improve on that, its the pinstriping that has me perplexed 8O

Comment

If you're not concerned about matching the original scheme, you can pick up tape stripes at Canadian Tire and apply them yourself easily.

Comment

Wrench,
                There is a place in Toronto that will make copies of your existing stripes and reproduce them. You can contact them at
                Reproduction Decals [reproductiondecals@bellnet.ca]

Roman.

Comment

pin stripes

When I repainted mine I just went to the local auto parts store and bought some pin striping tape and clear coated over it. Came out very well and was pretty cheap.
                  I will warn you, I did mine with spray paint and the second I went to fill up with gas (the paint was dry) and I slopted a little it, it ate through the paint. As said previously I would either take it to a paint shop or go buy your own paint gun and buy real paint. Cause it sucks for a lot of work (sanding, priming, painting, clear coating) to all go to waste over a drop of gas.
                  Oh and when you strip your tank, go buy some paint remover (it comes in a spray can) that stuff works like a champ, DONT use it on your plastic side covers though, it does not like plastic!

Comment

Has anyone seen/found light blue pinstriping tape? I want to redo the pinstriping on my Windjammer to match, or at least be similar to the gold/deep blue/light blue striping on my GS750E. I've found gold and deep blue tape, but haven't been able to find any light blue. :?

Thanks!

Comment

Lt blue pinstripe

Lynn, how light a blue and what width?
                      Doze.

Comment

Doze asked
                        how light a blue and what width?
                        Fair questions. Width is easy to answer: 1/8" "How light" is a little tougher.
                        To my eye, it's kinda in the robin's egg blue area of color depth, but without the greenish tint, or at least less green.

Comment

Working...
                        X