At a loss on my carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a loss on my carbs

OK, heres the deal. Bought my "wonderful" 81 GS750L and dug in....
    Carbs cleaned out and rebuilt with all OEM spec "junk". Air screws adjusted to the forum recommended 1 1/4 turns out. Factory airbox put on with new OEM outlet tubes, rings and clamps. K&N filter on the inboard side of the airbox. Everything all correct and accounted for. I go to start my machine AND!!! nothing. Seems as though the carbs still dont have any suction to them dispite the factory setup. At this point I am ready to sell this heap or set it on fire. I need some input BAD or this thing is going to be on the for sale board by the weekend. ](*,)

At the risk of being obvious, if you have fuel and fire, it's gotta run. Got spark? Got fuel flow to the carbs? After those checks, can you tell us more?

Comment

BGrey, or is that "neighbor"? Check your e-mail. I live almost next door to you and might be able to help.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you have spark you need to fill your carb bowls before it will start. Put your petcock on prime and apply vacuum to the small line leading to you petcock. wait a few to let the bowls fill and it should start.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I just had a similar prob, mine was that I forgot to readjust my idle adjuster knob after my bench sync. Was basically screwed all the way in for the bench sync, but obvously needed backed off a great deal to start.

If ive learned one thing with my 750, it is a tempermental thing. If they are just a little bit off, hard mothers to start.

Take a breather for a day, read up and go through the process. Chances are you overlooked something (like i did).

good luck.

Comment

Spray starting fluid into your carbs and make sure it runs that way. Also if you don't have a prime setting you'll need to pull off the vaccuum hose from the carbs and suck on it to fill your bowls or it will never start.

Comment

Fear Not Chad:

It will run and run it will. Your bike is a jewel. Make sure you got spark and go from there.

Comment

Hey Chad:

I see that you didn't use the air-filter box you got from me. A dude called "ThatGuyChuck" from our site wrote me yesterday looking for one. He may want to purchase yours if you ain't gonna use it.

Comment

OK, update... After much swearing and priming the bowls I got it to start for about 5 minutes but couldn't get it to rev above about 3k. Then it died and now I can't get it to start again. At least I know it will start, now I just need to get it to RUN. Could this be a carb sync issue??](*,)

Comment

BGrey,

Did you get the e-mail I tossed your way last night?

I see that we are virtually neighbors, so I can come over and give you a hand if you want.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by dtkid
                      Hey Chad:

I see that you didn't use the air-filter box you got from me. A dude called "ThatGuyChuck" from our site wrote me yesterday looking for one. He may want to purchase yours if you ain't gonna use it.
                      Hmmm.... I just sent him a free airbox yesterday. :?

ghwrenchit

Comment

Steve,

Yes, I did get the e-mail and I do plan on calling as soon as I have a day or two when I am going to be home for more than an hour or so. I greatly appreciate it!!

Comment

Working...
                        X