Hard Cold Start???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Cold Start???

I've got a 1985 GS 700 ES that hates starting cold. When the bike sits for more than 3 or 4 hours, I have to use starting fluid to start it. But only when the weather is cold!!!! When it sits for 9 or 10 hours and the temp. is warm, it starts right up. I already know about using prime to get fuel into the carbs, but I would think it would be needed more when the weather is warm. (evap.)? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    lostit23:shock: :shock:

Try something simple like adjusting the mixture screws out an additional 1/2 turn or so. If the screws still have a factory cap on them and they look undisturbed, the screw adjustment probably won't be the problem because the screws wouldn't move by themselves. If the caps are gone then it could be lean screw adjustments. Be careful if you do move them because the screws can be stiff/tight.
    If the starting problem just appeared suddenly, but ran fine before, again, screw adjustment shouldn't be the problem. Always keep a record of any adjustments so you can put them back if you don't like the results.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for the tip Keith, and apparently the p.o. has messed with these.
      But yes, its done this ever since i bought it.!!
      lostit23

Comment

Originally posted by lostit23
        Thanks for the tip Keith, and apparently the p.o. has messed with these.
        But yes, its done this ever since i bought it.!!
        lostit23
        Then try adjusting them as I said. Keep a record.
        If no joy, next easiest thing to try is to remove the screws/spring/o-ring and carefully shoot some carb cleaner (tube) into the screw passage and follow with a blast of high pressure air. This may help if the pilot circuit passage is dirty, but this is no substitute for a complete cleaning. You could have a dirty pilot circuit that spraying like this wouldn't reach. If you try this partial cleaning, be very careful of stiff mixture screws. Be aware that removing the screws could cause problems if the screw o-rings are already hardening/brittle.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X