Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown Headlight AGAIN

Hi guys!

I have a 1984 GS750EF. A lovely machine.

I recently replaced the regulator rectifier as I had over charging problems.
    This fixed the overcharging as my reading on the battery is now 13.5 to 14.1 volts from idle to 5000rpm's.

Before I replaced the RR I also noticed that she was blowing lightbulbs and thought that afer replacing the RR this will be solved. NOT!

What can cause the headlight to keep on blowing? I have checked for shorts in the wiring and found none.

Help????

Seems to me that the headlight receives voltage directly from the stator when running, but pulls from the battery when rpms are low or missing. Maybe a short in the stator, ???? Could you test the voltage at the headlight plug when running above 4000 rpm and see how much juice it is getting? Others here know a lot more than I about the electrical system and hopefully will give you a better suggestion.

Comment

THX I will try that and let you know.

Comment

Check your voltage at the headlight. There was a thread here very recently where someone was continually blowing the headlight bulb.

Don't know about your bike, I would need a schematic to verify, but the stator is not normally connected directly to the headlight. The headlight switch has two sections and one connects the headlight to the battery and the other switch section connects the stator lead to the R/R.

In the above mentioned thread, the owner found broken wires in the headlight switch which allowed the stator lead to short to the headlight lead. This was also overcharging the battery since the voltage from the stator was no longer regulated.

You might check the headlight for this condition.

Comment

I was constantly blowing bulbs, changed the RR, and still blew bulbs. I put some foam rubber between the headlight mounts to cut down on vibration and STILL blew bulbs. I soldered all of my RR connections and blew the bulb I was currently using at about 350 miles. Since that I have about 1500 miles on the current bulb, which is FAR more than I have ever gotten on a bulb.

Best guess, ... combination of vibration and poor connections at the RR.

Comment

Working...
          X