Charging issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HobieSun
    Well, I just checked the AC volts from the yellow, white/blue, and white/green wires. All were way below spec. I swear that when I checked them after I installed the new regulator last time that it was fine, I couldn't get them much above 50v, 30v lower then spec. I also noticed that the white/blue wire was getting very hot. I will have to trace that one down and see why. As well, the regulator gets quite hot. It doesn't really make any sense to me that if the alt wasn't putting out what it is supposed to that the reg would be getting hot. Who knows, maybe its no volts and all amps. Either way, the white/green wire connection was fried and the white/blue wire was working on it. I rewired the white/green and it wasn't getting hot anymore. I guess it is time to put a !$%#*& stator in. Any theories?
    The OEM stator specification is 80 VAC at 5,000 RPM. If the stator was replaced with an Electrex aftermarket unit, the specification for their stator is three equal readings of 50 VAC or more at 5,000 RPM. The way that the stator is wired, and wire size will affect the open circuit voltage. If you are getting three equal stator readings over 50 VAC at 5,000 RPM, your stator is probably OK.

If the R/R is getting hot but not charging the battery, this is a symptom that either the ground and/or hot leads from the R/R are faulty. This is usually caused by corroded or loose wire connections. Disconnect and inspect the red lead connection to the wiring harness. If it is not a good connection, the battery will not charge properly. You can temporarily connect the red wire from the R/R directly to the battery positive terminal for test purposes. Cleaning the wires and soldering them should fix the connection. Same with the stator wires. Run a permanent extension of the R/R ground wire directly to the battery negative terminal.

Check the charging voltage at the battery after ensuring that the wiring is properly connected and see if it reads at least 14 VDC from about 2,000 - 5,000 RPM.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2006, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X