Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Swap

1983 GS650L
    I think the starter motor is busted. When I press the start button, all I hear is a click. I removed the ?stator cover? and starter motor cover. I tried to connect the starter motor positive lead directly to the battery and nothing happened. I tried to manually turn the Starter motor (while still in the bike). It was hard to turn and I heard grinding when it did turn. This leads me to believe the starter motor is gone. What do you guys think? And, I dont see how to remove it. Can anyone tell me how to remove the starter motor? Should I buy a new one, used one, or have it rebuild? What should it cost for the part new? Any help is deeply appreciated.

thanks,
    Anthony

Guess what. I just happen to have the same problem on my 1982 GS1100G. The starter was turning a bit slow so I decided to open it up to check the brushes & clean it. I took it to a starter shop and it tested out OK. Reassembled the whole thing and put it back on the bike : now it gives nothing but a click when trying to start. Even when I connect the pos lead directly to the battery, just like you mentioned.
    Concerning removal. On my bike you need to take the air filter box & carburators off before you have access to the two bolts holding the starter motor (inside the starter compartment). Once these are removed the starter comes out easily.

Comment

This is from an old post of mine and it is based on my 1983 GS1100GD:

You do not have to pull the carbs to get the starter out. 2 small bolts hold the starter cover on (8mm heads, I think) and 2 - 10mm bolts hold the starter in. They are are on the far end of the starter as you look at the starter from the left side of the bike. You will need an inspection mirror to actually see them, but you can feel them. With a 1/4" drive socket set, they are easily removed and the starter can be gently pried out of the case.

I'm still thinking on what may be wrong with the starter.

Comment

Got it out, but whats next?

Thanks guys. I was able to squeeze the Stater out. I opened it up and the magnets on the inside are grinded to bits. How much are these things and where can I get a new one?

once again thanks,
        Anthony

Comment

The magnets, or the brushes?

Comment

If you're looking for brushes:

Disclaimer: My starter(s) is/are Mitsuba 4 brush starter...there are others

I just swapped out the brushes on my two gs'.
            The brushes can be had from a Parts Unlimited dealer. p/n PUCSMB2.

I think the PU in the p/n is for parts unlimited. Price was approx. $13.00 for a set of 4 brushes. Interestingly, I did a net search and found that
            "Ricks Motorsport Electrics, INc" had the same brushes, but wanted $21.00 for a set. Guess what? When the parts came in from the dealer, there was a "Rick's Motorsport Electrics Inc" sticker on the box. First time ever that the dealer was cheaper than the aftermarket.

Pain in the rear to solder the new leads, but with some help, things went together.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
            X