GS 1000L - valve cover gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000L - valve cover gaskets

I just bought my GS 1000 L (1981) with 10K on it. It has a slight oil leak from the cam covers so I am going to replace the valve cover gasket as well since it looks to be starting to seep. Anyone have words of wisdom before I undertake this task? I would throw in a picture but I need to compress it first since you aren't allowed to post a memory hog.

Nuttman

Be very careful removing old gasket material. It likes to stick hard, and a razorblade must be used very carefully or you'll ding the edge and oil will leak. I found that "stroking" it with the blade edge trailing did the trick most of the time, and scraping with an old credit card.

Everybody raves about the silicone Realgaskets.

If you use one, just remember to torque the valve cover bolts down very lightly... use the forum search for realgasket and see what people have to say...

Buy new rubber half-moons plugs, too.

Comment

Another tip that worked for me with stock new gaskets is to spray them liberally with WD40 before using. I've managed to re and re valve cover several times with no damage. Mind you that doesn't help to remove stuck ones - I agree with kalessin there. And silicone gaskets ?- wish I knew about those when I did my engine.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate the info. I talked to a real mechanic (Tim at Steeles Cycle in Denver) and he suggested gasket remover and razor blades as well. Said the Suzuki tends to get hot and just bake on the gasket. I did go ahead and purchase the half moon plugs for the cam covers as they seem to be the major culprit. I am going to ride it from Denver to Sturgis in August and want it to be right. I have a jammer on the front so bolts will be lots of fun to deal with on the front side, but what else are you going to do on a Friday evening?

Comment

The gaskets from realgaskets.com are excellent, I just installed mine recently and it went really well. Great quality, reuseable and lifetime warranty.

The guy gets STC's from the FAA for putting his products in airplanes, so the quality has got to be there.

As a real plus, Harold is great to deal with!

Comment

still leaks

After three hours af cautious scraping of old gasket material, a new gasket and half moon plugs for the cams, it's still has a slight leak. I've re-tourked the bolts again just to be sure but that's obviusly not the culprit. From what I can see it does look like the half moon cam plug causing the issue. From pervious threads it looks like some RTV may fix it, otherwise I am going to order the silicone gasket. I looked them up per some of your comments and can see why you recommend them. On the GS 1000 L their part number only mentions through 1980. It looks the same as my 81 but wanted to be sure in case I need to order.

Apprecaite your input on this topic and an finding this whole site to be a great resource.

Comment

Originally posted by nuttman
              After three hours af cautious scraping of old gasket material, a new gasket and half moon plugs for the cams, it's still has a slight leak. I've re-tourked the bolts again just to be sure but that's obviusly not the culprit. From what I can see it does look like the half moon cam plug causing the issue. From pervious threads it looks like some RTV may fix it, otherwise I am going to order the silicone gasket. I looked them up per some of your comments and can see why you recommend them. On the GS 1000 L their part number only mentions through 1980. It looks the same as my 81 but wanted to be sure in case I need to order.

Apprecaite your input on this topic and an finding this whole site to be a great resource.
              just check on bikebandit to make sure the part numbers are the same for the gasket from both years.

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins
                just check on bikebandit to make sure the part numbers are the same for the gasket from both years.
                FYI - www.alpha-sports.com has the actual Suzuki OEM part numbers wheras bikebandit has their own numbers on the web. They have been good to deal with and are generally cheaper than alpha-sports.

Comment

Working...
                X