Those 4 shiny camshaft covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those 4 shiny camshaft covers

I have a 1981 GS650G. One of those camshaft covers is loose and I can't see how it is attached so I can tighten it. Mine are not the kind with the Phillips head screws. Thanks!

My '82 GL is supposed to have the same type, but they are missing

Look under the bottom edge, you will see slots where you can stick a stubby Phillips driver.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can't find any screwhead

I don't see any screwhead through the slot at the bottom of the cap. It is hard to see up there due to the cylinder fins being in the way.

Comment

They are very tough to tighten. When I adjusted my valves I had the cover off and I tightened mine, used a little blue loctite on them so they don't come loose. They are actually attached to the valve cover, not the head.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by granda0101
          I don't see any screwhead through the slot at the bottom of the cap. It is hard to see up there due to the cylinder fins being in the way.
          If you have one of those screwdrivers that look like and allen wrench that will work.Take a small mirror and you can see them. You have to find them by "feel",your right ,it's not easy.

Comment

I bent a screwsdriver just for this and still could not get them tight. Ended up taking off the valve cover and doing the job right.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
              I bent a screwsdriver just for this and still could not get them tight. Ended up taking off the valve cover and doing the job right.
              omg - shhhh - dont let Hoom hear about it....:shock:

Comment

Hey, it's my screwdriver and I can do what I want.\\/
                Besides, I have been in Hoomgars garage a few times and it's not pretty.:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Pharkmeh
                  omg - shhhh - dont let Hoom hear about it....:shock:
                  Sometimes you have to take the long way around.But you still get the job done,that does the job.I have screwdriver heads that fit on the end of allen wrenchs. You might want to look for something like that instead of trashing you screwdriver.

Comment

I tried plenty of them but the problem is it is a #2 screwhead and all of the allen head bits are too bulky to fit in there. Some are even too long. There is probably a Suzuki special tool for this, only 49.95 from a dealer, special order only.

I don't think the wrold will be worse off if a cheap flea market screwdriver gets bent. I did not do a Snap-On.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                      I tried plenty of them but the problem is it is a #2 screwhead and all of the allen head bits are too bulky to fit in there. Some are even too long. There is probably a Suzuki special tool for this, only 49.95 from a dealer, special order only.

I don't think the wrold will be worse off if a cheap flea market screwdriver gets bent. I did not do a Snap-On.
                      Thats why I like having a welder. If worse comes to worse.I just make my own tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X