help quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help quick

i did a search and no results. I recently changed my oil filter and oil in my 750. I started it today to get it inspected and let it warm up. the number 4 cylinder started smoking and i looked in the sight glass and there was no oil. I shut it down and added another quart and started it up and that oil disappeared from the sight glass. What could it be?

With the proper amount of oil, you won't see any (or very little) oil in the sight glass while it's running.
    I don't know what model you have but typical oil change with filter change requires about 4 quarts of oil. Don't overfill as it sounds like you may have. I'd drain the oil and re-use. Put in about 3 1/2 quarts initially(?). Remember, if you drain the oil when cold, there can be quite a bit that won't drain out so keep this in mind. Maybe about 3 1/4 quarts is safer to put in initially. Completely warm up the oil, then place on centerstand, then turn off. Wait about 5 full minutes and check the glass. Add to upper line if needed.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

#4 cylinder smoking may mean you have a bad valve seal or piston ring.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

alright so drain a quart out because i have 5 in there now. The cylinder stopped smoking so im guessing its ok.

Comment

Originally posted by spyderrocs
          alright so drain a quart out because i have 5 in there now. The cylinder stopped smoking so im guessing its ok.
          Yes, 5 is too much for sure.
          If the smoking comes back, it may only smoke when cold/warming up. This is typical of aging valve seals and rings. After more miles, the smoking will increase though. You may get many miles more before it becomes a problem though.

Comment

Rather than guess how much might be left in there, just drain it all out into a clean pan. Measure out about 3 quarts and put that back in the bike. With the bike on the center stand, let it run for a bit, then shut it down. Wait 5 minutes, check the sight glass. Add oil as necessary, then save the rest of what you drained out for later use.

Not sure what the specs are for your 750, but my 650 and 850 both call for 3.8 quarts if also changing the filter. I just put in a full 4 quarts and let it go. The oil I use comes in gallon containers which makes it very convenient for pouring in, then putting the used oil back into the gallon jug for recycling.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You put in how much?

Kind of sounds like what happened when Dad put too much oil in a lawnmower and couldn't figure out what he had done. You never saw so much blue smoke. In the garage...

I agree with the others. Drain the oil completely and put the 3 1/2 qts. back in. Warm it up and then check the level after letting it sit. I go do something else while its draining back into the sump. You can't wait too long.

The smoking from the one cylinder could be from having the excess splashed up on the cylinder wall and pulled past the oil control ring. As long as smoking / oil consumption wasn't a problem before, I wouldn't worry about it.

You did know that overfilling can blow seals, didn't you?

Comment

blow seals, or ive seen rods go through the block because of hydrolic locks because of too much oil

Comment

Working...
                X