Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choke doesn't help.

82 GS400, 49,000 km

Wend down to the parkade last night to start up my bike (bought it last week) for the first time since I brought it home - fired up on the first turn without complaint... BUT, wanted to stall out unless I feathered the throttle a little bit (this with the choke on). I noticed as I feathered the throttle that the lights got brighter as I feathered the throttle.

After about three minutes, I slid the choke in and continued to feather the throttle a little more. One minute later, she idled (without the choke) without complaint and ran smooth. Headlight was bright.

Known issues: charging system is weak and needs 5000 rpm to generate 12.8V. At idle, only 11.8V.

Any thoughts? Is the fact that the choke didn't make it run at higher RPM related to a weaker battery due to the electrical issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Drew

Check the stator papers. It sounds like the charging system isn't right. The voltage @ 5K should be in the 14's I believe.

Comment

thanks again - I've read those and know I have to fix the R/R and perhaps the stator. I'll do some volate and current testing this weekend to figure that out.

Is the choke issue (that it didn't increase revs) a symptom of the electrical problem then?

Comment

Whether or not the choke increased the revs depends on how far you have it pulled.

On my 650, I have to pull it all the way over (thumb control under the left grip switches) and it idles about 2,000 rpm for a few seconds. As it start going faster, I feather the choke until it idles smoothly about 1500. Then I put on my helmet and take off. By the time I get into third gear, I turn the choke off completely.

On my 850, it's pretty much the same, except I only pull the choke over about 3/4 of the way. If I pull it all the way, it instantly climbs to about 4,000 rpm. Besides being hard on my ears, I know it can't be doing any good to the engine.

On my Wing, I give it about 2/3 choke, it starts and idle smoothly at about 1500. Again, put the helmet on, hit the road. In third gear, turn off the choke.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

choke not related to charging, then what?

I now have my bike on a Canadian version of the battery tender, and when I start it (cold) after ensuring the battery is fully charged, it still doesn't want to idle with the choke pulled out (either part way or all the way). It will start and idle without the choke, and I just let it warm up that way for a couple minutes before riding.

Does anyone have an idea why the choke causes the bike to stall and is this much of a concern? Thanks.

Comment

On my 1979 GS1000E if I haven't run the bike for longer than a few days I got in a habit of putting the petcock on PRIME for about 2 seconds, then back to the ON position. I pull the choke, touch the start button and turn off the choke completely within 10-15 seconds.

I think your problems are mainly carb related. A proper cleaning, bench synch will go a long way resolving these issues. You mentioned you recently got the bike, which would lead me to believe that some carb work is necessary anyways.

You probably don't have to change any parts other than carb O-Rings (which you can get from Robert Barr on this site I believe). And I think you may need to replace the Carb Intake boot O-Rings that are bolted to the engine block (I'm assuming its the same on your bike as on mine, but then again I can't be 100% sure as you have a GS400 which has a completely different engine.)

I'm no expert but I had similar problems when I got my bike and carb cleaning solved the issues completely.

Also, do you have a fuel filter? I did some reading when I was repairing my rusty fuel tank (inside), and basically fuel filters are almost a must with older bikes. Even if you tend to ride the bike regularly rust flakes and dirt buildup over the years and tend to get into the carbs. A fuel filter can virtually eliminate this problem. Which also leads to dirty carbs much sooner than if you run your bike a filter. Keep in mind, carbs have many tiny holes which won't require much tiny dirt particles to get plugged in certain places.

Just my two cents.

Good luck and enjoy your new bike.

==================================================
            1979 GS1000E

"NEVER MESS WITH A GS"
            "The less you know, the more you believe."
            "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."

Comment

i have a 1978 gs400 and after rebuilding and synching the carbs the enrichner (choke) doesn't help me anymore either, it doesn't hurt but it does not cause the bike to idle faster for those first minutes. i have to feather the throttle for about a minute and then the bike is fine

Comment

Working...
              X