Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

igniter question

ok here we go
    would an overcharge fry (i mean literally) an igniter on a 81 450T. I replaced the original unit with a used one and it lasted 5 minutes riding around. New one in hand and am afraid to even operate the engine without replacing the R/R so I have done a little diagnostics work on the charging circuit. When testing charger, momentary spikes of +20 vdc recorded. turned off immediately.

Originally posted by gwascom
    ok here we go
    would an overcharge fry (i mean literally) an igniter on a 81 450T. I replaced the original unit with a used one and it lasted 5 minutes riding around. New one in hand and am afraid to even operate the engine without replacing the R/R so I have done a little diagnostics work on the charging circuit. When testing charger, momentary spikes of +20 vdc recorded. turned off immediately.
    Definitley sounds like a fried R/R.

Comment

Output per phase on the Alternator is around 80Vac If the regulator fails to regulate, the charging rate can go up and the electronics don't like it at all. Also if you run with the battery disconnected, you're supplying pulsating DC to the electrical system and the electronics don't like it either. I did some dynamic tests just yesterday evening on these issues for my custom R/R ...you can read about it in the posts in this section.

Comment

A voltage surge will most definitely fry the ignitor, per my own experience. If you are electronically savvy, you can replace the fried components if the circuit board itself is not too badly damaged.

Comment

igniter parts access

how do you get to the igniter parts? MIne is potted in epoxy

Comment

Working...
          X