Brake pads, any more insights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pads, any more insights?

The front pads on my 1983 1100ED, squeal like stuck pigs, unless I really clamp down. As there is only about 50% left I'm thinking I might as well replace them (yes I could "sand" them down but having done that once already...they were squealing again within a 100 miles), what brands/type are recommened? Anyone tried ceramics?

From what I've read the squealing sound is caused by vibrations of the pad in the mount. That's what the disc brake lubricant, grease, is meant to cure. Just a very small amount is used where the pad contacts the caliper.

Now with that said, I've had some pads that just plain like to scream, grease 'em, sand 'em, whatever. Soon they're back to making embarassing noises. Seem to be pad rather than brand specific.

I've used pads on my 550L from Vesrah, Dunlop, EBC and SBS, probably some others, too. The SBS were ceramic. I truthfully tell you I cannot tell a difference from one brand to another, in the wet or dry, maybe other riders, on other bikes can. So anymore I use whatever brand name is cheapest or available.

Presently the 550 has EBC, the Concours has SBS ceramic.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2006, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try greasing up the pads!:-D Carefully!!

Yes, I mean the plates not the pads themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasterdog
        Thanks. I'll try greasing up the pads!:-D Carefully!!

Yes, I mean the plates not the pads themselves.
        I used the anti vibration brake pad stuff from advanced auto.Its red and sets up like rubber.I havent heard my brakes squeel since.

Comment

That could work.The stuff im talking about is called disc brake quiet and is made by crc. Ya put it on wait ten minutes and then put it back together and try not to get any of that crap on your pad or rotar. If you do, it comes right off with alcohol, the rubbing kind not the drinking kind!

Comment

Could this lack of grease be causing my rear calipers to lock up? I press the pedal, pads make contact, never come out again.

Comment

Originally posted by OklahomaPomade
              Could this lack of grease be causing my rear calipers to lock up? I press the pedal, pads make contact, never come out again.
              No, that is a caliper problem. Probably caused by grit/corrosion to the piston that has gotten by the rubber seal. You'll need to disassemble the caliper, clean the piston and bore and replace the seal. Remember that piston doesn't move much, you won't see the piston or pads move backwards, it's just a relieving of the pressure of the piston against the pad which will always just make contact with the rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
                That could work.The stuff im talking about is called disc brake quiet and is made by crc. Ya put it on wait ten minutes and then put it back together and try not to get any of that crap on your pad or rotar. If you do, it comes right off with alcohol, the rubbing kind not the drinking kind!
                Thanks, PepBoys sells both. The compounds that is.

Comment

Thanks, PepBoys sells both. The compounds that is.
                  You should here a slight scraping of the pads against the rotor but it shold not "drag".Try some brake cleaner. that might do the trick.

Comment

tconroy & jimcor
                    Thanks guys.
                    The Brake Quiet stuff works! The stuff I got from Pepboys ( by Permatex) was blue but still worked.
                    Now I don't sound like a herd of deranged hamsters when I stop/slow down.

Comment

tconroy & jimcor
                      Thanks guys.
                      The Brake Quiet stuff works! The stuff I got from Pepboys ( by Permatex) was blue but still worked.
                      Now I don't sound like a herd of deranged hamsters when I stop/slow down.
                      If they do start squeeking again they just need to be cleaned of all the brake dust.The spray that you buy to clean the dust off computer keyboards works great. Its like compressed air in a can. (I dont have a compressor) so this stuff works great.

Comment

Good for you! Don't wanna freak the neighbors out when you stop in the driveway.

Comment

Working...
                        X